Why Halcyon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe you. I tried to erase it....but, it's not GUE "compliant". But also, it had nothing with your initial question.

Last edited:
Why ditch the cinch? I have heard this before

A while ago, my friend ditched the cinch and gave it to me. I tried it for a while, I also ditched it as well. It is now on a loaner plate so that if a friend want to try dp/w, they can have a easier first time.

there are two issues with cinch that my friend and I agreed upon. I even write a review here. I just don't know how to find it with this new interface. Here is what we found:

1) physical design issue - double tank mounting issue. Because the thickness of the cinch, a double tank don't sit flat on the plate. The bottom is further away from the plate by 1/2-3/4" or so. In order for a set of double to mount properly, the bottom bolt needs to be longer. Keep in mind, the bolts come with the tank, so not every set of double have the proper bottom bolt length. This makes sharing tanks difficult. Now, even if you switch the bottom bolt to a longer one, the issue if when you are NOT using a plate with cinch. let's say you are loaning the set to a friend without cinch. The bottom bolt can be too long now, maybe not long enough to polk into your back, but long enough to catch the drysuit. So what did H did, they supply an extension bolt to be use for the bottom bolt. The issue is the extension only work with 5/16" bolt because any larger, the hole in the plate isn't big enough. Most 7.25" bands use 3/8" bolts, sure I can switch the bolt to 5/16" for my own sets, but how about if I need to use someone's.

2) the adjustability can be a bad thing. The cinch works really well for what it is supposed to do, quick release/adjust, but we didn't find we need the quick release because we can get in and out just fine. The quick adjust also means inconsistent adjustment. The harness length is a bit different everytime. Initially, we put tri-glide on the inside, so the webbing could stop at the same place everytime. But after a while, we started to ask why we even need it.

I can see cinch can work really well if the adjustability if needed. For us, the added benefit is small for the inconvenience it cost.

found link:
Halcyon Infinity Impression

Last edited:
That makes sense. I have never used doubles so it has never been a problem. I can see where getting the same adjustment every time could be a problem.

We will see what they say. They should get it tomorrow and let me know
So, what was the outcome? I may have missed it but didn't see a follow-up post. Inquiring minds want to know.

As of Friday they do have it, but haven't had time to look at it.... Corey Smith, manager of technical services, is very prompt with his
e-mail, but they must have alot going on this time of year. So I am waiting on word from them.

Why ditch the cinch? I have heard this before
Advice I got from a GUE instructor was that the cinch was wonderful on a rental BCD, it was both not needed and sometimes troublesome on your personal BCD. So he recommended pulling it off. Though it did sometimes make donning it and removing it a bit easier.

Dissenting voice on "ditch the cinch", at least for single tank ocean dives. My wife and I have them and really like them for doffing our gear on ocean dives before climbing the boarding ladder. Very handy to give a firm tug and have a nice big loop to slide your arm out of. I don't understand the issue of difficult adjustment--just gear up, pull it till it feels like the usual fit, and good to go. Easy as pie to get the feel after just one or two dives. As for "troublesome" we have not had any problems with ours after three years and 300 dives between us, and it seems hard to imagine a problem arising.

Dissenting voice on "ditch the cinch", at least for single tank ocean dives. My wife and I have them and really like them for doffing our gear on ocean dives before climbing the boarding ladder. Very handy to give a firm tug and have a nice big loop to slide your arm out of. I don't understand the issue of difficult adjustment--just gear up, pull it till it feels like the usual fit, and good to go. Easy as pie to get the feel after just one or two dives. As for "troublesome" we have not had any problems with ours after three years and 300 dives between us, and it seems hard to imagine a problem arising.

After being told many times here on SB, I finally got my Hogarthian harness on my BP/W (with no "cinch") adjusted to fit "right". Before, it could definitely be a bit difficult to get in and out of it. Now that I finally got it adjusted to fit like it should, I can get in and out of it easily, in or out of the water.

When I took the Rescue class last Fall, there was an exercise that involved towing a non-responsive diver on the surface, giving rescue breaths, and getting out of my rig all at the same time. The instructor seemed to think I would not be able to do that since I was wearing my rig (including crotch strap). It was no problem. Quick and easy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom