Trip Report Why I Won't Be Returning to Cozumel-Part 1,2&3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

More a case of charging what each market will bear.

100% untrue. US is a complex web of deals, lobbyists, pharma companies, middle men and politicians that effectively set prices. Investigate why Medicare cannot negotiate prices with pharmas some time. A good friend runs a think tank dedicated only to this. Makes my specialized area of math pale in complexity. I once had a discussion with Scott Gottlieb over dinner about this. What a tangled web.

That's really unusual, but I'm sure it varies - especially with where.

Some studies show that paying the hospital cash rates can be cheaper than paying patient costs off an insurance program. When the Hospital Is Cheaper Without Insurance - D Magazine

You're 100% correct. I needed an MRI. Insurance company covered but I had a deductible. MRI would have cost me about $800 out of pocket. I called the the MRI center and they charged me $350 in cash.

Part 2:

The Hospital
. After speaking with DAN, they gave me two phone numbers to call the hospital. I called the Costa Med Hospital in Cozumel and no one picked up the phone. Are you kidding me? This is a hospital and they don't answer the phone? I called DAN again and he gave me two more phone numbers. I called those numbers and after no answers repeatedly, and then finally getting through a phone tree of press this, press that, I got a real person 20 minutes after I talked to DAN. After describing my symptoms, the person asked if I wanted an ambulance. I felt capable of walking down to the lobby of the hotel and getting a cab, but he said there were no cabs in Cozumel at 1:30 a.m., so I agreed to the ambulance. (I had not rented a car for the trip.) He said it would be about 20 minutes. After waiting 30 minutes, I called, asked where the ambulance was and he said 15 more minutes. After 45 minutes, I called again. The person says, "You are at the Westin, right?" I said, "No, I told you I'm at the Wyndham Hotel Cozumel." He said, "The ambulance is at the Westin. I'll send them to you. It'll be 10 minutes." Finally, after an hour, I'm picked up. Had this been a life-threatening event, I would be dead in the hotel parking lot by the time they arrived. And as a side note, I noticed cab drivers in the hotel parking lot, so I could have taken a cab.

After arriving at the ER, they did the usual stuff, take your vitals, ask you what's wrong. They asked me about my dive profile. I brought my dive computer with me so I could accurately recite the depths I had been diving. More talk, more people in and out. They put me on oxygen. There must have been eight different people coming in and out asking me the same questions. I finally saw the ER doctor, but not a dive medicine doctor. I asked when I could see the dive doctor. They told me he was at home and would be in in about 3-4 hours. Uh, what? I asked why he won't come in right now, and they said he uses his judgment whether he comes in based on what his staff tells him about the patient. I'm not happy about that. It was too inconvenient for him to come to the hospital to look at a dive accident patient.

Here's where it gets scary. More time goes by, then a male nurse comes in, doesn't say a word, doesn't introduce himself, doesn't make eye contact, and starts to lay out what looks to be an IV setup. I asked him, "What is that?" He said in broken English, "IV". I said, "Why?" He said, "That's what the doctor wants." I said, "Send in the doctor." The ER doctor comes in and says that this is "standard protocol" for dive accident cases. I said, "Why do you want to put in an IV if you don't even know what's wrong yet?" Again, he says it's standard protocol. Okay. I reluctantly concede because the doctors knows best. Right? Mr. Male Nurse comes back and is not wearing a name tag, so I asked him his name and he said Avro (pronounced Av-row).

Avro then starts tapping various veins in my arms but picks a vein on the top of my left arm just above the wrist bone to insert the needle. Having had surgery before, I've had IVs in my hands but not above the wrist. Very robotically, he goes in and he misses the vein. It hurt quite a bit and I said, "You missed the vein and that really hurt." He says nothing, pulls the needle back out and goes in again. He missed again. Now it's raging pain and I scream out. He says nothing. He goes in a third time and he hit a nerve and nearly sent me off the table. I scream louder and said, "You just hit my nerve! Take it out!!" He says, "There's no nerves there." Now I'm pissed, in pain, and this moron says there's no nerves in your arm?! At this point, I'm yelling, "Take the f***ing needle out now and get the f*** away from me." This nurse was so lacking in compassion and humanity. He never smiled, introduced himself, or made me feel at ease in any way. If this is what Mexican medical care looks like, I'm scared for the patients. It makes me really appreciate American doctors and nurses and how much they care about their patients with real, genuine humanity.

The end of the story is: I was there until 8:00 a.m., never saw the dive medicine doctor, never got treatment except for oxygen, and was discharged. The oxygen really helped because by the time I left, the pain was 90 percent gone and the splotchy rash was faint. I flew home the next day without incident. Dangerous medical care, poor diving conditions, this is why I'll never go back to Cozumel.

Post Trip. The incompetent and reckless nurse's stabbing of my nerve left me with a damaged nerve in my hand. This may or may not be permanent, as nerve damage takes a very long time to recover and sometimes never does.

Every time I've gotten skin bends, I evaluate what could have contributed to it so as to not let it happen again. You're not supposed to do heavy exercise after diving, but I wonder if washing all my gear in the hotel bathtub, bent over with my head below my heart, already tired from six days of diving, then lifting heavy, wet gear and transferring it across the room to the balcony and hanging it up could have been a factor. This is not atypical for what I do on a daily basis when diving, though. I always rinse everything at the end of every dive day.

I was advised by a DAN medicine doctor several years ago that getting Nitrox certified may help in preventing skin bends, so it makes me wonder also if not having Nitrox on that last day could have contributed. There's so much mystery and nuance in dive medicine and dive injuries....

Part 3 will be some photos.
Thank you for this report. I was considering going there next month but scratched it off my list of possibles. I have been to many primo dives areas of the world to dive and I do not want to dive in coral rubble!

Sorry to hear you had the skin bends and also poor medical care. I had the skin bends once in northern Belize and looking at my dive profile on the computer we could not figure out why. Mine was to about 80-90 feet but did not stay there very long. My computer was set on conservative. What the dive doc at the San Pedro Hyperbaric Chamber Center and later DAN there said was that it COULD have been using a HOT shower after the repetitive dives. I received oxygen for about and hour. The rest of the week the scuba diving was canned but I am happy to report that there was good care there.

Did you ever find figure out what was the cause of your skin bends?

I’m in Cozumel now. Diving is fantastic. 6 dives in 2 days so far. Vis is awesome; reefs in great shape. SCTLD not nearly as bad as I expected. Absolutely loving it.

I’m in Cozumel now. Diving is fantastic. 6 dives in 2 days so far. Vis is awesome; reefs in great shape. SCTLD not nearly as bad as I expected. Absolutely loving it.

Yea, I dont know how to describe that. Reports from the University are and it seem to me in two trips in the last month, that there is a lot of dead hard coral. However, it still seems like great Cozumel diving still with all the other coral and sponges and fauna and all. I did find a few live brain corals too that looked fine.

Yea, I dont know how to describe that. Reports from the University are and it seem to me in two trips in the last month, that there is a lot of dead hard coral. However, it still seems like great Cozumel diving still with all the other coral and sponges and fauna and all. I did find a few live brain corals too that looked fine.

I have been searching for brain corals and have found none so far. Acropora is doing really well, I’ve seen huge growths. Also seeing many divers and dive boats! Things are picking up.

You’re very naive if you believe that. Prescription drug pricing in the US is a complex issue that has nothing to do with the cost of living. US citizens essentially subsidise the price of drugs in other parts of the world. Just Google it if you have a few days to waste.
Naive? USA drug manufacturers are NOT the only producer in the world. And they are NOT the largest producers as well.

List of countries by pharmaceutical exports - Wikipedia

I travel a lot and always amazed to find out the huge difference in cost for the same items in various countries.
There is no such thing as universal price eg. Apple phone

I've been here for 5 months and spent 330 hours under water since Christmas. There are areas that are pristine. There is a tremendous amount of dead hard corals and in areas where that was dominant there is lots of algae covered reminders of what was there two years ago. It is really sad to see it but this kind of thing is nothing new here. There have been devastating hurricanes that have wiped out large areas that didn't recover and there are lots of remnants of once beautiful shallow reefs. There are areas that are popular with divers where there are lots of broken coral and sponges from careless and clueless divers. There is however still a lot of beauty here and for people that are used to other areas of the world, diving here can simply take your breath away.

I had a friend come to visit this week to get certified and the first time he swam through a canyon of coral to open out onto a clear blue abyss on a stunning wall covered in life he was blown away by something he just never knew existed, because seeing it on a video just doesn't grab you the same way and snorkeling is just..... so yes there are some things that have taken a beating but Cozumel is still one of the finest places in the world to dive and the marine park is a part of that.

There are fewer fish but the lion fish populations are very much under control now in all the areas that I have dived. Once an area is cleaned up it seems to stay cleaned up. I am seeing literally no baby lion fish and I used to see them a lot so I think they have probably become food for something. The bigger ones are in the 30-40 meter range and in the 5 meter areas and in the areas that nobody dives. On the popular reefs they have been cleaned up for awhile now. Even in the deeper areas there are fewer than two years ago and even at the beginning of the pandemic when we killed 11 on our last dive before bugging out. Now it is rare to see more than two and after they are gone they don't get replaced anytime soon so that is just a work in progress.

I just returned from a week in Cozumel this past Saturday. This was my first trip there since 2012, and I thought the Reefs looked fantastic....tons of Juvenile life. I'm probably going to go back this Nov/Dec to catch the Eagle Rays going through.

Back
Top Bottom