Trip Report Why I Won't Be Returning to Cozumel-Part 1,2&3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yo tambien. All of us who have been to Cozumel multiple times, and who have posted to and read this forum for a while have seen these "he said, she said" exchanges before. We also know what to expect when we go there. 'Nuff said.

-Whatever-

I wonder whether understanding of the need for this has evolved since you were told that. Such rules used to be precautionary due to lack of understanding of dive tables and bodily responses. For example, the PADI RDP (1988) has special rules for 3 or more dives in a day and says to slack off after multiple dives over multiple days.
I didn't know our body's physics had changed in the last few years. If anything, our understanding of micro bubbles has increased meaning we should be more conservative on multi day diving trips..

I didn't know our body's physics had changed in the last few years. If anything, our understanding of micro bubbles has increased meaning we should be more conservative on multi day diving trips..

he is not saying our physiology has changed. he is saying our understnding of it has. but i am with you. more conservatism never hurt. besides....although many here do not feel this way....there is more to do on holiday than just dive right ?

For those of you that do not read back in a thread, I edited my original reply to this -

**Edit to my reply**

Sorry for my confusion here, but now I have no clue who this person is. After speaking with the diver I was discussing, they are not the same person. So now I am really confused because the OP never spoke to me about any of these concerns about the hospital or my staff, and I have no idea who this is.

To living4experiences: Please email or call me so we can talk about this experience and I can figure out which DM you are discussing.

**Edit to my reply**

Sorry for my confusion here, but now I have no clue who this person is. After speaking with the diver I was discussing, they are not the same person. So now I am really confused because the OP never spoke to me about any of these concerns about the hospital or my staff, and I have no idea who this is.

To living4experiences: Please email or call me so we can talk about this experience and I can figure out which DM you are discussing.

Thank you for admitting your mistake. It was very big of you to continue to research the issue and come clean on your confusion. Hoping the two of you can get in touch with each other and sort thing out.

thats a pretty big "whoops" right there. maybe a good lesson for us all. it is right to be able to stand up for ourselves when we feel we have been unfairly represented. but we should also take the time to make sure we have our own facts straight before condeming the accuser.

@Sloeber Thanks for clearing that up so quickly

@living4experiences - I'm curious as to whether your saying it's your last trip to Cozumel because of the overall poor ending to your trip (dealing with the medical staff) or if it's just the overall with the poor reef conditions that you exhibited? Seems like I've read a lot of posts recently on how the reef is looking much better these days without the cruise ship industry.

I'm headed there next month with a week of diving with Liquid Blue, but I haven't been on the island diving since 2012.

thats a pretty big "whoops" right there. maybe a good lesson for us all. it is right to be able to stand up for ourselves when we feel we have been unfairly represented. but we should also take the time to make sure we have our own facts straight before condeming the accuser.

Agreed, which is why I immediately came to clear the issue to what I knew. Unfortunately the timeline and some of the information presented in the OP lined up with a diver from this week (problem with one DM but good exprience overall, bad hospital experience, the hospital not telling me they had one of my divers, not using nitrox, etc).

we all hate to hear of anyone having such a bad experience that they would never return. that goes for any location. not just cozumel.

i myself have never thought the reef diving was all that spectacular there. the formations down south are very cool are are well worth the trip, but over all, i enjoyed the reefs on curacao and grand cayman more. i would also say i have def seen far more sharks while diving in st maarten than coz as well.

i am glad you seemed to enjoy hotel coz. we have stayed there and are hoping to be able to return.

your medical situation is understandably a troubling experience. but in the end turned out to be a relatively minor problem. we have all had horrible treatment at one time or another by someone in the health care profession, and that would apply to any country. most are great, but people are people and not all are good at their job.

it should go without saying that you need to consult with a diving physician. the fact that you are telling us you think you have had the "skin bends" more than once should be a red flag. perhaps it may also be a good time to re-evaluate your diving style. how deep, how long, what gas you dive, how many dves per day, how many dive days per week, what exposure protection you use, etc etc might be some parameters you could adjust to help avoid any further complications.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom