Why is a back plate& wing better

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks Cornfed ill check it out.
huh I know Incle PUG
I am a member of that sight I did not know
Ron and Uncle Pug were the same guy.

We both had the same puzzle and I decided to buy a BP and Wing to settle the issue. I have a fit problem with my vest BC (and all rentals taken for comparison) since everything compresses as I descend and my vest loosens up on me and my tank begins to shift as I move around. So, I tigthen everything down and then if I ascend without at least giving the cumberbund some freeplay my breathing is restricted on the surface until I remember to readjust for 1 ATM. I will let you know how the BP/Wing does from a firsthand comparison. BTW, I am moving from pure rec diving to rec/tec diving and felt that this was a reasonable first step in that direction.

Yes Toecutter:

I will be wondering how the new BP And Wing worked out

What PB And Wing did you go with.

Sparky

Well Pro-DIR'ers,
I have to say - I've tried about everything out there as a newbie - DIR, recreational gear, jacket BC's, back inflation BC's, OMS bungee wings, Halcyon rigs - and the guys on this board were right.

Fact is, there is nothing out there currently that beats this DIR rig and philosophy. Nothing. I've tried all kinds of hose configurations, etc. Nothing, and I mean nothing, works as well as having the long hose setup. Its clean, the backup reg is out of your way - its not dangling or dragging - you can find it with your eyes closed if need be or in the dark or a silt out.

As far as the BP and harness goes - there isn't ANY jacket BC that I tried that is as inexpensive as a BP, as versatile, easy to adjust to EACH person's size or suit config. Nothing. Its inexpensive, bulletproof. Its simple, clean, and unrestrictive around one's chest and waist. You have plenty of room to hang bottles if you need, camera's, or in my case these days - an underwater metal detector.

Fight all you want, troll all you want - try and defend your setup to the death - I did. I fought it as hard as anyone can. I put up a good fight.

But the fact remains, that DIR is the best thing going to date. It simply works - is simple and hell, and doesn't thrive on the latest fads, styles, trends, etc. Its here to stay.

From what I have seen, it can work as nicely in 60 ft of recreational diving as well as deeper dives. Its versatile that you can BUY ONCE - ONE RIG - and adapt it to whatever you choose to do, if you advance and grow into more technical diving, deeper diving, or not. Its compact, packs easily, and costs about a full $10 in webbing to re-web a rig, repair it, fix it, etc. Mess up your harness, and you can be back in business in about 30 mins. Heck, everyone sells 2" webbing these days. When you adjust something on that harness - it STAYS in place. Its doesn't slip, slide, or move again. It doesn't get 'out of adjustment' and can never break.

The wings are clean and w/o problems. While you MAY have to get your butt UP to dump air when horizontal - thats no big deal. There are no bands to trap and hold air, have to adjust or play with, replace or balance out from the left to right wide of the wing. I'm telling you, I've been there. I spent more time trying to figure out why a 100# bungee wing didn't trim properly with a single tank. I spent more time adjusting, loosening and tightening bungees on each side to balance out inflation issues. Why? More crap to break or tinker with.

The DIR harness will NEVER come off of your body. Never. All this BS about a DIR harness being uncomfortable vs. an IQ Pack or Trans Pac is pure BS. One you put a BP on with a wetsuit or drysuit, you don't even knows its there.

So, take it from someone who sent full cicrcle, around and around again - tried this, tried that....eBay made lost of money on my mistakes.

These guys on the board may be arrogant - they may be tough. That’s because they have learned - from experience - the hard way, perhaps - on what WORKS and what DOESN'T.

And I'll telling you - DIR is simply the most logical, best designed safe system for diving - ANY kind of diving.

Save yourself TONS of money, aggravation, etc.

Just buy a BP and wing and be done with it. Take the money you save on weight integrated BC's, gimmicks, pockets, etc. and just invest $188 for a Halcyon BP and be done with it. Its still cheaper in the long run vs. some $450 BC that is as restrictive as a barrel around your waist.

I could have bought a boat on what I could have saved if I had just stayed with DIR and worked at it.

Live and learn...

Toecutter:
...since everything compresses as I descend and my vest loosens up on me and my tank begins to shift as I move around...

Question:

Doesn't this happen with a harness as well?
I'd imagine that you get some slack in it, as you go deeper.

I haven't dove deeper than about 80 ft. If thats a problem I'd say simply snug up the harness a bit. I generally never had that problem when I dove mine.

I think the biggest mistake many (including me) is that they think they can just buy a DIR rig, jump in the water and be all set. It takes some tweaking to get your harness fit just right, your trim, weighting, etc. However, once you get that all wired - your 'dialed in' dive-after-dive. Nothing will change/shift or move on you once that harness is adjusted. I found my DIR rig easier to get in/out of than ANY other BC I tried - and I tried a lot of 'em. That BP was so freakin' easy to get in/out of it was insane...

A backplate just rocks. It's the last thing you'll ever buy!!! They are more comfortable to wear, they are less bulky, have less worthless junk and material hanging off of them and getting in your way...and they are modular and easily repairable.

Thinka about it - you rip a shoulder strap or something on a regular POS jacket BC, and it's done! W/ a backplate - heck, you just thread some new webbing threw it and it's just like new. There is no way in hell you'll ever destroy the plate itself. The wing is damageable...but once again you can replace it yourself no problem.

A backplate is amazing, amazing, amazing - it is soooooo nice once you use it - you'll wonder how you ever dealt with all that crap surrounding your before.

A backplate is not meant just for technical divers - you need one to do tech, but everyone benefits from a backplate.

fan(t)a(s)tic:
Doesn't this happen with a harness as well?
I'd imagine that you get some slack in it, as you go deeper.
Wet suit compression is a problem. I use a heavy wetsuit and my harness might seem a bit snug on the surface but it's fine at depth. A backplate harness provides a better intial fit than a jacket BC so while there is still compression it isn't as big of an issue.

Having said that, I'm starting to think that tightening the harness to compensate for wetsuit compression is really just a "solution" to a problem I shouldn't have to begin with.

He's right - I have paid $350+ for some 'tech' BC. Yup, looks neat and has D-rings all over it - however, get it in the water and you find (I found) I couldn't reach them OR the pockets!

With a one-pc harness, you can MOVE the D-rings where YOU want them to fit YOUR particular height, frame, etc.

Here is an example of what they mean:

Last week we were out diving with our metal detectors. In about 23 ft of water. My bud has his computer. He spent more time playing around with that comp trying to move between screens, etc. I have an OMS Bottom Timer. I simply jump in the water, and I'm 'good to go.' No screens to change between, no clutter, no fuss. I gland over to it to instantly see my depth, max depth, water temp, time. $139 later, thank you. Simple as hell...

Say your BP webbing is fraying or got cut somehow. $10 later and about 30 mins of work and your back in the water. Rip a shoulder strap on your BC and try that. Break a plastic buckle and try that. Those SS sliders and waist buckle are NEVER, ever going to break. Bombproof. Bet I could drive my car over a BP and hardly damage it! :)

These guys aren’t kidding - you can make this as complicated and hard as you like - or easy - and spend your time perfecting your skills in the water vs. PLAYING with gear, adjusting, etc.

Buy a BP and a wing, spend about an hour stringing the webbing and adjusting it - and GO DIVING and spend your time doing better things that messing with bungees, straps, pockets, integrated weight pockets, etc.

My advice to anyone coming into this sport is - don't get caught up in this 'gear fanatic' crap.

Go buy a Fred T, Halcyon, Dive Rite, OMS, or Ozy Cheq BP and just GO DIVING! Worry about your skills in the water - trim, boutancy, regulator exchanges, finning.

Think of WHY you got into this sport - TO DIVE!

Go have fun and stop worrying about gear...work at getting better and better with your skills...

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom