Why is a back plate& wing better

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome Back Scoob!

We missed you. Back to DIR again...sure beats the BWOD/single thing huh...:D

ScoobieDoo - here here!!!

I started with a RecTek with integrated weights....about a million d-rings (most of them covered by extra material/pockets/crap) so I couldn't even get to 'em...dozens of littled buckles and straps flopping all over.

I love the simplicity. Simplify, simplify, simplify!!!!

Thanks Guys:

I have just been hanging out watching what you all would have to say. ( Trolling I think its called. ) but I mean this in a good way.

but i have a couple questions
how do I decide how heavy a Bp and how much lift I need from a wing?

what kind of infermation do I look at.

my height 5' 9"
I go at least 200 lbs closer to 115lbs

I dive in a 6.5 mill farmer john wet suite

and should I look at SS bp or Al
and why is one better the the other?

I would like to thank you all for the great infermation.
I am convinced that DIR is going to be the way I dive from now on.
now its just a question of the funds but
it wont take the old Sparkster long
once I decide to do something I just go for it.

thanks again gut you all ROCK!!!

Sparky

Sparky - a) A DIR-Fundamentals class is one of the better investments you can make in your dive future. It's worth the cash.

But in terms of gear, I'm assuming you're diving single tanks, in and around Oregon waters? The 'standard' that's hard to argue with is SS backplate and STA with a Pioneer, Eclipse or Oxycheq single tank wing.

sparkyjames:
What kind of infermation do I look at.

my height 5' 9"
I go at least 200 lbs closer to 115lbs

I dive in a 6.5 mill farmer john wet suite

and should I look at SS bp or Al
and why is one better the the other?

You missed the most important information.....will you be diving single or double tanks? Steel tanks or aluminum?

Your best bet would be to take the fundementals in order to have all of these questions addressed and discussed, but then again, they do expect you to have the equipment ready before you show up.

CanadianDiverGirl:
You missed the most important information.....will you be diving single or double tanks? Steel tanks or aluminum?

My Bad I will be diving single steal 119 for startting out then might go to doubles but have not thought about that much.

and the reason I want to know is so when I start the class I have all the gear. before hand.

thanks againe gang.

Im off for a weekend of fun and lots of diving with good friends
Ill post a dive report on monday night after I get back.

hope every-one has as much fun as we are going to.

Sparky

Sparky ... I think I'll have to bring my pool rig tomorrow, so you can try out my backplate and wing for a dive. It's not totally DIR, but close enough to give you an idea of the differences. We can talk about the kind of gear you'll need to purchase if you really want to go this direction. I'll bring along the FredT info we've already talked about.

You'll need to change out some other gear as well ... and I can put you in touch with some folks who are intimately familiar with the DIR system who can answer your questions in person (and probably arrange a dive or two ... seeing how it works is more effective than talking about it).

FWIW - I'm thinking to sign up for a Fundamentals class in August ... just waiting for Josh to get his schedule put together. Let's talk about it tomorrow ... perhaps you can consider getting into the same class.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

sparkyjames:
Thanks Guys:

I have just been hanging out watching what you all would have to say. ( Trolling I think its called. ) but I mean this in a good way.

By the way, I think you mean "lurking." Trolling is basically posting a strong opinion on a hot-button subject, then watching the fist fly.

gfisher4792:
By the way, I think you mean "lurking." Trolling is basically posting a strong opinion on a hot-button subject, then watching the fist fly.

yes your right I mean Lurking.
I could not think of the word when I posted that
MY BAD!!!!!

not the Trolling type my self although I am a Troll
at least thats what my Nephew calls me.

Bob I would love to try out your Back plate
I am wondering if I am going to like it as much as every-one thinks I will
If I will want to give it back.

see you in the morning.

Sparky

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back