Why is a Conshelf so reliable long term?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buddhasummer

Down under...
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I've read lots about the the long term reliability of the Conshelf first stage and it got me wondering what makes this first stage so reliable? Given the earlier Tiatan is all but the same why does that reg not have the same reputation? For that matter why are no other regs save the MK2 branded with the same reputation. Is the seat material different? Parts used? I thought perhaps it was due to the added relative complexity of newer regs but many regs are similar in their simplicity. Why can a Conshelf go 20 plus years without a service but a titan for example will not, well I've never read any such reports anyway. Cheers.

1) simple design
2) not many regs have been around for 20 years to have that kind of report made

It's a combination of quality parts, simple design and Poseidon's tears.

I have friends with thousands of dives on them and untouched. That said there are other regs of that era are still seeing thousands of hours service without rebuilding. From my limited perspective I don't believe they are unique in their longevity, but simply in their reputation.

Looking forward to wiser people weighing in on the reason, I've puzzled it myself.

Regards,
Cameron

1) simple design
2) not many regs have been around for 20 years to have that kind of report made

There are lots of simple regs on the market and the Titan for example is pretty old, albeit an iteration of a conshelf, so there must be more to it? Or has it just become folklore?

Simple down stream second stage.
Reliable diaphragm fist stage with a pedigree going back to the Royal Master of 1966 (?).
All metal construction.

And by the way, the Connie goes back way more than 20 years. I have a 66 Connie. My dive buddy of that era used a Connie, I had a Calypso J.

There is no real mystery to it. The ambient diaphragm is large, the lever provide good mechanical advantage/transfer, the exhaust valve is 30mm (not alway the case) and chromed brass is durable and easy to care for. What more could one want.

N

Thanks James. I was referring to the first stage, I should have made that clearer. The reliability of the second I can fully understand but the first, not so much. Cheers.

Interesting thread. The internals of the Mares MR12 and the Conshelf are pretty similar. Some parts are interchangeable. You don't hear the same about the MR12.

Interesting thread. The internals of the Mares MR12 and the Conshelf are pretty similar. Some parts are interchangeable. You don't hear the same about the MR12.

I have a MR12, the one with the Target decal. Great regulator, it is Voit though, pre Mares. Yes, they are much the same and I might give the second stage an advantage due to the aspirator tube. But there are fewer of them, and, Mares, well, lol, sorry, I will pass on them.

The barrel type diaphragm first stages are just a simple device. There are few parts and again, basic, simple balanced design. Nothing fancy and as I said, the design goes back to the Royal Master of the mid 60s. The basic design continues today with the Core/Titan LX first just redesigned with the complication of a 90 degree turn. Some people like the hose routing of barrel type firsts, others prefer the 90 degree design now prevalent in the AL line up.

N

Last edited:
I have three Conshelf 1st stages that I use for diving, one that's a tire inflator, and one I plan to rebuild and dive. I also have two Calypso IV 1st stages that I use for diving. All of these I have rebuilt myself, except for the tire inflator, which works OK and which I'm not going to rebuild until it breaks or I want it for actual diving.

I don't think there's anything magic about the Conshelf design that makes it any more reliable than other high-quality balanced diaphragm regulators. The reason I have Conshelfs is that parts are readily available and probably will be for many years, and the regulators themselves are inexpensive.

So then any simple barrel type, diaphragm balanced reg with few parts should be as equally reliable over the long term as a Conshelf first? An earlier Titan for example? A new Calypso?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom