Why is an AL80 not 80?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know why an AL80 is actually 77.4 cu.ft. but I have noticed that all the cylinders are equal to or lower than what you might expect. An AL63 is actually 63 cu.ft.

I can see people in marketing having the conversation:

"I don't think AL77.4 has a good ring to it."
"How about AL77?"
"Nah, it has more then 77 cu.ft. We should round it up to AL78."
"Well, as long as we are rounding up, why not just call it an AL80?"
"Sounds good to me."
"Done."

What confuses me is:

HP65: 66.4 cu.ft.
HP80: 81.0 cu.ft.
HP100: 99.5 cu.ft.
HP119: 123.0 cu.ft.
HP120: 120.6 cu.ft.
HP130: 131.4 cu.ft.

They round down everything except the HP100 plus the HP119 is larger than an HP120. Maybe someone at the cylinder manufacturers are conducting a psychological experiment on us. :)

I've been hoodwinked on my tank AND my TV AND my boat? Holy smokes whats next!

So its simply a rounding or simplification and NOT a vast conspiracy against me? :wink:

Ah well, it was just one of those things that you ponder. Like, why did they make the pudgy little 119 such a misfit after looking at the spec given by scubadiver888?

:rofl3: Hope I don't get keelhauled if I say,

"Soup for Everyone" with an exclamation point.

Rounding seems like standard practice, maybe I should try it with the IRS:D

It is allowed but just to the next highest or lowest dollar.

At the time AL tanks came on the market, it was dominated by steel 72's. I suspect the powers to be in marketing thought AL80 sounds like it is a significantly bigger than 72 and thus a worthwhile upgrade, while AL77 sounds only a wee bit larger than a 72.

Back
Top Bottom