Why is dacor crap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alex6

Reaction score
Can you guys tell me why Dacor is crap. I want to know form your experinces and others that you know that use dacor products

I recently purchased a well used early 80's model BC, I showed it to the LDS and he said its a good BC. They are Apeks, Aqua Lung distributor, but he had a diaphragm that fit the shoulder dump. I used the BC on several dives including a nice 60 ft wall and I had no issues but positive.

You get what you pay for. One of my first dive lights was a Dacor for about $45.00 USD. The thing was garbage, the switch was cheap, the battery holder was flimsy and wouldn't hold the batteries in the right spot. I should have known better than to buy that light.

It's not just Dacor, there are lots of equipment lines that have low end products.

It was a real piece of junk...can you believe it got lost in a quarry? Hmph...any decent mask wouldn't have gotten lost in the first place..

O-ring once bubbled...
It was a real piece of junk...can you believe it got lost in a quarry? Hmph...any decent mask wouldn't have gotten lost in the first place..
How far did you have to throw it before it became *lost*?:wink:

I have an old Dacor BC, whereas it isn't perfect and I'm working on replacing it (hopefully with bp/w) I wouldn't call it crap. It has served me well over many years with minimal signs of wear.

You should get a lot of different responces to this question based on what particular piece of equipment someone has owned. Everyone has warned against there older regs because they could not provide enough air at depth with low pressures or in an air sharing situation. On a positive note they make the extreme elle bc and my wife just loved it, however they also make a bc called the rig and from a visual aspect it would be an absolute nightmare to use under water. I counted 15 d-rings on it, if you need to secure that much equipment you might need to take a dirf class and learn how to lose the useless junk.They have recently been purchased by mares and I have heard there quality is going up. It is all personal preference in what you want and like, any major munufacter makes quality gear but remember you get what you pay for.

asudiver once bubbled...
I recently purchased a well used early 80's model BC, I showed it to the LDS and he said its a good BC. They are Apeks, Aqua Lung distributor, but he had a diaphragm that fit the shoulder dump. I used the BC on several dives including a nice 60 ft wall and I had no issues but positive.

They had a problem in the mid-90s with the quality of their products. They released the Extreme series of regulators which were complete and utter crap. That pretty much destroyed any credibility they had in the industry and they closed shop. A few years ago they were bought by Mares and from I can see quality has gone up some but I have not seen enough of the equipment to make an unbiased decision.

My dacor metal viper seems to be a very good reg. But then again it isn't a low end product.

I also have a Dacor Viper Metal that I have been using for 2 years.
So far it has performed perfectly under all conditions and depths.
I think with any product line there is the cheap stuff and the good stuff and if you judge a whole product line on one or two items you are probably making a hasty decision.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom