Why is DIR left hand release?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hang on there Squee! Not so fast. You can check out any time you like... but you can never leave. And this thread isn't over by a long shot!

We haven't even started arguing over whether the weightbelt is to be worn over the crotch strap or under it and how this affects buckle orientation... or not.

And about your screen name... Squee! That is the sound I hear while descending with a head cold. Are you trying to tell us that you have a hard time equalizing?

Uncle Pug:
Hang on there Squee! Not so fast. You can check out any time you like... but you can never leave. And this thread isn't over by a long shot!

We haven't even started arguing over whether the weightbelt is to be worn over the crotch strap or under it and how this affects buckle orientation... or not.

And about your screen name... Squee! That is the sound I hear while descending with a head cold. Are you trying to tell us that you have a hard time equalizing?

See, I never really intended it to be much of an argument, I just heard him mention it without any explanation, and i had been taught previously (PADI) that weight belt is always right hand release, so I was just curious why it would be left hand release. That's all :)

But hey, arguments are fun to watch unfold, so by no means let me stop you! :wink:
I plan on doing my DIR-F in the caymens (as that is the closest location to me unless I can get a cheaper flight to florida, though i certainly wouldn't mind checking out the caymens) when i get some time, probably not until spring, so in the meantime, I'm just ingesting whatever info i find on the web in my sprare time :)

As far as squee is concerned, it's just a comic book character I find amusing. His name is really todd, but whever he get's frightened, he squeals "squeeeeee" and so long story short, his name was mistaken for that sound at one point in the storyline and it stuck! :wink:

OK, this may me a highjack but it is not intended to be but... you mention having the canister on the waistband... why not mount on the back plate?

mavjax:
OK, this may me a highjack but it is not intended to be but... you mention having the canister on the waistband... why not mount on the back plate?

It's more stable on the waistband, easier to reach, more protected, and allows you to use it to help route the long hose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom