Why is it bad to be overweighted? Am I overweighted?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bent Benny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
As I learn more about diving and read what people have to say, lots of people talk about being overweighted like it is a cardinal sin. Why is this? If someone finds it easier to dive with am extra 5 or 10 lbs of weight, what is the danger or problem with this?

I think I may be overweighted so I would like some opinions on my weight setup. I am 6'1" and weigh about 175lbs. I have a 7mm wetsuit in 2 pieces (John and step in). I also have 5mm gloves, 7mm boots and 8mm of neoprene on my head. When I was doing my certification dive in the pool I was using 25 or 30lbs I can't remember which. I found it really hard to get down and once down it wouldn't take much air to make me ascend when I was just trying to achieve neutral buoyancy.

By the time I did my OW certification dive I had moved to 35lbs of weight. This was better but I felt like it was still too easy to ascend quicker than I wanted. Now I am using 40lbs and it feels perfect. I feel like I am in complete control of my buoyancy and when I want to go down I easily do.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as well as any knowledge anyone can share about this subject.

the problems of being overweighted are well documented but the short list includes, but is not limited to
  • Inability to kick up from depth and/or remain at the surface due to being imbalanced, especially with what IMO is a dangerous wetsuit combination that you happen to be diving because I think 7mm farmer johns are stupid
  • Difficulty maintaining neutral buoyancy due to a larger bubble of gas in the BCD that expands and contracts significantly more when you are overweighted.
  • Various problems with your hip/knees/back due to carrying extra weight
  • Potentially necessitates the need or desire to "blow and go" from depth due to #1 which results in a dangerously fast ascent leading to DCS and/or the much worse AGE.
7mm farmer john should be roughly 30lbs positive. Ish. If it's new, it could be closer to 40, if it's seen 100ft a few times and is cheap neoprene *most of them are, which is part of why they're farmer johns*, then it could be 25. You should be about neutral, need 6lbs to deal with the tank, plus another probably 4-5lbs for your bcd and tank unless you are using a steel backplate, and 40lbs of lead isn't what I would deem "overweighted", at least on paper. You may well be overweighted, but without doing a proper weight check, there is no way to know.

The short version is being overweighted creates more work for you above and below water. I think Tom gives a better longer version.

the problems of being overweighted are well documented but the short list includes, but is not limited to
  • Inability to kick up from depth and/or remain at the surface due to being imbalanced, especially with what IMO is a dangerous wetsuit combination that you happen to be diving because I think 7mm farmer johns are stupid
  • Difficulty maintaining neutral buoyancy due to a larger bubble of gas in the BCD that expands and contracts significantly more when you are overweighted.
  • Various problems with your hip/knees/back due to carrying extra weight
  • Potentially necessitates the need or desire to "blow and go" from depth due to #1 which results in a dangerously fast ascent leading to DCS and/or the much worse AGE.
7mm farmer john should be roughly 30lbs positive. Ish. If it's new, it could be closer to 40, if it's seen 100ft a few times and is cheap neoprene *most of them are, which is part of why they're farmer johns*, then it could be 25. You should be about neutral, need 6lbs to deal with the tank, plus another probably 4-5lbs for your bcd and tank unless you are using a steel backplate, and 40lbs of lead isn't what I would deem "overweighted", at least on paper. You may well be overweighted, but without doing a proper weight check, there is no way to know.

Could you elaborate on why my wetsuit is stupid and dangerous? It is brand new (About 10 dives, most between 40-70ft). It is a Henderson thermaxx titanium.

How do I do a proper weight check? I don't feel overweighted, but everything I've been reading makes me think I might be. I've also been paying very close attention to my ascent rate and with the help of my computer I try to maintain 20ft/min ascent rate.

I have a drysuit coming Monday and I want to make sure I weight myself right. With the wetsuit I have it has just been trial and error. Before I added weight to get to 40lbs I felt like it was hard to control my ascent rate and that seemed more dangerous to me than carrying more weight out of water.

As I learn more about diving and read what people have to say, lots of people talk about being overweighted like it is a cardinal sin. Why is this? If someone finds it easier to dive with am extra 5 or 10 lbs of weight, what is the danger or problem with this?

I think I may be overweighted so I would like some opinions on my weight setup. I am 6'1" and weigh about 175lbs. I have a 7mm wetsuit in 2 pieces (John and step in). I also have 5mm gloves, 7mm boots and 8mm of neoprene on my head. When I was doing my certification dive in the pool I was using 25 or 30lbs I can't remember which. I found it really hard to get down and once down it wouldn't take much air to make me ascend when I was just trying to achieve neutral buoyancy.

By the time I did my OW certification dive I had moved to 35lbs of weight. This was better but I felt like it was still too easy to ascend quicker than I wanted. Now I am using 40lbs and it feels perfect. I feel like I am in complete control of my buoyancy and when I want to go down I easily do.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as well as any knowledge anyone can share about this subject.

I’m 5’11 and 170lbs diving a 3.5mm full and a 2/5mm hooded vest. You are certainly wearing more rubber than me, but I’m only using around 8 pounds (edit: for an AL80 tank). This includes the combined weight of my steel Freedom backplate (4.5lbs), a 13cf pony and lightweight regs. Occasionally I will add 2lbs depending on the dive. Are you diving a jacket style BC? A jacket does require more weight than a BP/W. I expel all the air out of my wing prior to hitting the water and add a just enough at depth to compensate for a full tank. Is your BC void of air before you descend? It should be. How inflated is your wing or jacket when you are at depth? As I am going up for a safety stop I expel all the air out of my wing. Do you? Sorry for stating the obvious, but the air in your wing/jacket will expand as you head for the surface and may be the reason you are ascending so quickly. To answer your question, 40lbs seems like a lot to me.

Last edited:
I’m 5’11 and 170lbs diving a 3.5mm full and a 2/5mm hooded vest. You are certainly wearing more rubber than me, but I’m only using around 8 pounds. This includes the combined weight of my steel Freedom backplate (4.5lbs), a 13cf pony and lightweight regs. Occasionally I will add 2lbs depending on the dive. Are you diving a jacket style BC? A jacket does require more weight than a BP/W. I expel all the air out of my wing prior to hitting the water and add a just enough at depth to compensate for a full tank. Is your BC void of air before you descend? It should be. How inflated is your wing or jacket when you are at depth? As I am going up for a safety stop I expel all the air out of my wing. Do you? Sorry for stating the obvious, but the air in your wing/jacket will expand as you head for the surface and may be the reason you are ascending so quickly. To answer your question, 40lbs seems like a lot to me.
I have a jacket bc. I add air to it before I back roll off my boat because after I hit the water I like to just lay there and float on the surface for a few minutes. I do this so that I can acclimate to the cold water and so that I can try to relax and slow my breathing down as much as possible before I decend. Once I'm down there it doesn't seem like I have alot of air in my bc.

I'm aware that the gas will expand as I rise. I do have to have some air in my bc during my safety stop, but not much.

I am going to dive in a couple hours. I will try dropping 5 lbs and if that works fine I'll try dropping another 5 the next time.

"Over weighted and not over weight." So very sorry but I misread the OP. But good information anyway. "Now we will return you to your regular scheduled station".

Just to clarify, my bc is not tight at all. Whether on the surface or at depth I never have enough air in my bc to restrict my breathing or feel uncomfortable.

"Over weighted and not over weight." So very sorry but I misread the OP. But good information anyway. "Now we will return you to your regular scheduled station".
Haha I was wondering why you were telling me about all of that. I get called skinny all the time so I'm certainly not overweight.

I'll get a wing bc at some point, but between paying for private 1 on 1 certification, buying 5 tanks, buying all of my gear and now buying a drysuit I've already spent too much money in the last couple weeks to consider replacing my perfectly functional brand new bc.

Back
Top Bottom