Why is it bad to be overweighted? Am I overweighted?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you truly feel “completely in control” of your buoyancy, then you are probably NOT overweighted

Weighting and buoyancy are not as directly related as you suggest. Buoyancy depends on a weight to volume ratio. If you have more weight, you just need more volume (air in your BC) in order to offset the weight to maintain neutral buoyancy. What is optimal in diving is the minimum weight to make your dive and hold a safety stop at the end.

I recover anchors and weight belts on a reasonably regular basis, and if I was not completely in control of my buoyancy I wouldn't do it at all. (I never recommend doing this to anyone as it is potentially quite dangerous.). So I am grossly overweighted and still can maintain neutrally buoyancy.

You can learn to control buoyancy quite well while overweighted, although it is more difficult than when properly weighted. The way I have found to be most accurate is hovering at 15' with 300-500# in my tank, and an empty BC. I carry a bit more depending on my dive plan.

Bob

Being over weighted is a significant advantage in some situations. If you are diving in relatively shallow water with surge and currents, being significantly heavy and being able to pull and crawl along is very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom