Why is Scuba Diving a Transitional Sport?

How was your journey toward making scuba diving a long term avocation?

• I got OW certified and never looked back--it was my primary avocation from the start.

Votes: 70 81.4%
  • I travelled a bumpy path to find my niche and/or my core group of fellow divers.

Votes: 14 16.3%
  • I struggled for years and have recently found mostly what I wanted in diving.

Votes: 2 2.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My interest in marine life has kept the flame burning brightly for three decades. I'll be sixty next month. Several of my dive friends are in their 70s and 80s and still at it.

I think it probably has most to do with a person's makeup. Some people like to try and experience a large variety of things, others are like me. I tend to concentrate on specific activities and stick with them. Basketball (when young), shell collecting, playing clarinet (well, that's professionally, but I started playing 55 years ago), and a few other odd hobbies. And some OCD. Sometimes I think I dive for 20 minutes in 39F water in a wetsuit (like today) just because it's a routine. There's definitely nothing down there except the usual Nova Scotia stuff. A lotta work for 20 minutes. My summer dives are longer and 2 in a day. Still, not the thrill of a lifetime here (unless on the rare occasion I find a really good shell).

Another thing is that if I was not that talented in diving I would havequit also. I only do sports where I am better tthan average. Ok, diving has no competition, but if I would find froblems with learning it, I would have quit for sure. That is why I learned fast and could do all courses including all techcourses in 2 years, except instructor, that was first not in my wishlist. If I had to stay in the shallow sportsdiver regions, i had quitted. I can be extremely motivated as I was in gaining goals in techdiving.
Then when othersaid why are you no instructor? And I found another nice path in diving. teaching less experienced divers in shallows I found a way to dive in shallows. It Iakes sense and fun then.

Another important thing why I stay diving; i do it solo also. If it it not allowed, i dont like. It is safe, relaxed, and I do it already since dive 110. Not allways, but there iis no reason to dive allways with a buddy.
Thefreedom to take my car and jump in is also part of not quitting.

Hmm, my phone makes a mess of some words. But I think it is readable.

My interest in marine life has kept the flame burning brightly for three decades. I'll be sixty next month. Several of my dive friends are in their 70s and 80s and still at it.

Hi Max,

I am about a year behind you with that 60 thing.

Did you buy your boat for diving and did you buy it early-on in your diving adventure?

If you answered the poll, did you choose question #1?

cheers,
markm

I think it probably has most to do with a person's makeup. Some people like to try and experience a large variety of things, others are like me. I tend to concentrate on specific activities and stick with them. Basketball (when young), shell collecting, playing clarinet (well, that's professionally, but I started playing 55 years ago), and a few other odd hobbies. And some OCD. Sometimes I think I dive for 20 minutes in 39F water in a wetsuit (like today) just because it's a routine. There's definitely nothing down there except the usual Nova Scotia stuff. A lotta work for 20 minutes. My summer dives are longer and 2 in a day. Still, not the thrill of a lifetime here (unless on the rare occasion I find a really good shell).

Hi TM,

I am the same way. I tend to stick with things. Sometimes I take a hiatus, or sabbatical (I mean time-off if someone wants to parse). In the long run, I come back to my main hobbies.

thanks,
markm

Another thing is that if I was not that talented in diving I would havequit also. I only do sports where I am better tthan average. Ok, diving has no competition, but if I would find froblems with learning it, I would have quit for sure. That is why I learned fast and could do all courses including all techcourses in 2 years, except instructor, that was first not in my wishlist. If I had to stay in the shallow sportsdiver regions, i had quitted. I can be extremely motivated as I was in gaining goals in techdiving.
Then when othersaid why are you no instructor? And I found another nice path in diving. teaching less experienced divers in shallows I found a way to dive in shallows. It Iakes sense and fun then.

Another important thing why I stay diving; i do it solo also. If it it not allowed, i dont like. It is safe, relaxed, and I do it already since dive 110. Not allways, but there iis no reason to dive allways with a buddy.
Thefreedom to take my car and jump in is also part of not quitting.

Hi Germie,

I understood your post; notwithstanding the cellphone issues. This forum is supposed to be a grammarian free community.

Solo has saved my diving for exactly the same reasons that you describe. I am not the picture-perfect diver. But I am totally comfortable in the diving environment and I really like it.

Cheers,
markm

Same here. (explorer)

Have you tried the unexplored local diving possibilities? Advanced rec sites hold no surprises or knowledge. Try going shallow where no one has gone before...

Hi lowviz,

I am living in Ohio. I don't have many choices. A three hour one-way drive is my closest real quarry. Diving for me is now a production. Of which I don't mind. Just as long as I can either dive good spots solo, or dive with experienced divers on moderate to advanced sites.

cheers,
markm

Since SCUBA diving is a tool I use in my profession as a marine biologist, underwater videographer and educator it is not transitional for me except in the sense of getting me where I needed to be to conduct my work. Of course it also became a passion.

I see many divers get certified for a specific trip and then their interest seems to decline. Unless one has a keen interest in something only possible underwater, like marine critters or historic wrecks, I can see where the enthusiasm may decline over time. One needs a purpose to keep diving.

Hey DrBill,

I enjoy your posts, as always. You wrote: "One needs a purpose to keep diving."

You are so right.

thanks,
markm

Hi Kharon,

I took the term, "transitional avocation" to mean that a person passes through scuba to some other avocation. Their transition from one sport to another. In scuba, they may have been transients, but their avocational transformation continues.

Bucket list. As in, been their, done that.

It is good to ascertain what someone's intent is, but sometimes we can take parsing words too far.

Enjoyed it,
markm

I was just confused - not trying to be pedantic. :thumb:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom