Why is tech suddenly the in thing for new divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it is to each their own on the type of diving they do and no one really know the direction their diving will take them. I myself have no desire to go the tech/dir route, and so does many of the divers I know. As for the question where do you think your diving is going to take you when you begin really is not valid. If that is the case, all newbies should just rent until they find the direction they want to go with their diving so they can get the proper gear when they figure that out.

So all a newbie really need to get is a reg set at the beginning, and they all have the ow class mask and fins. And that is all they need to get till they know.

Your point that the waters are overcrowded really depends on where you dive. When I dive in South East Asia, there were no other boats at allot of the dive sites we dove. I had room to see all I wanted to.:D

I think the shop starting people off in a plate and wing is a good idea. It is easier to get horizontal trim. The best thing about the plate is the harness is adjustable so you don't have issues with changing suits, they are more universal sized. When I started diving I had a black diamond. The thing was adjusted all the way in with a wetsuit and all the way out with a drysuit. I wished I would have gotten a plate and wing to start with. As for doubles if your doing even deep rec dives they are nice to have for redundancy. I started diving doubles after about 60 dives, admitted I want to start tech classes this year. But I dive doubles all the time now. Knowing I have a complete backup tank and reg is a nice safety feature, sometimes equipment fails. Just my thought

Greetings all and thank you to Mtbr for posting a interesting thread!
It has been great to watch the posts and ponder the information shared.
Diving is always in a state of evolution, gear, science, etc.
Divers themselves are as well, we all are changing whether we like it or not!
The older we get our bodies remind us of this fact! I am trying to revolt against mine!
Some divers are more driven than others, seeking to dive beyond Recreational limits.
It is no different than going to the gym, one person chooses to get in shape, one chooses to be a body builder.
Tech is no different, it is a vehicle to achieve more advanced diving goals in a safe manor. Is it for everyone? Absolutely not! But it is up to the individual.
Regardless of personal opinions Tech is hear to stay and has valuable information to be gleaned from it. Knowledge is a tool to be used for the advancement of diving science, we as divers are to be in a constant state of learning awareness!
So if some choose to adopt the DIR / Tech ways great!
If some stick to and are happy diving recreationally awesome!
The main objective to keep people diving advancing the science is achieved!
All to often common ground gets sacrificed on a alter of opinion! No winners there!
It is all good! Dive however you like, but do it safe and to the best of your personal ability! Practice and train to achieve your personal diving goals!
CamG Keep diving......keep training....keep learning!

As a new diver I thought I would throw my 2 psi in here. I live in new england which means thick wetsuits and drysuits. I just tried the tec/DIR approach and found for me the following.

Using the BP/W I am more comfortable and have better control in the water from what I gather this is because of the weight distrubution. Even being new there is a very noticable difference to me with this type of setup compared to a weight intergrated bc.

As far as the octupus I have no idea if it true that an out of air diver will usually reach for the reg with bubbles coming out or not. It would be interesting to see some actual scientific data to support either way. I did notice the octupus with it falling out of its "holder" a lot with the traditional method. Although I have not dove with the necklace enough to know if this is a problem I don't see it happening much.

Over all I can see the idea of less loops to get tangled or snagged working but I'm not sure how often this happens with people who are not doing penetrations of some kind.

As a new diver I thought I would throw my 2 psi in here. I live in new england which means thick wetsuits and drysuits. I just tried the tec/DIR approach and found for me the following.

Using the BP/W I am more comfortable and have better control in the water from what I gather this is because of the weight distrubution. Even being new there is a very noticable difference to me with this type of setup compared to a weight intergrated bc.

As far as the octupus I have no idea if it true that an out of air diver will usually reach for the reg with bubbles coming out or not. It would be interesting to see some actual scientific data to support either way. I did notice the octupus with it falling out of its "holder" a lot with the traditional method. Although I have not dove with the necklace enough to know if this is a problem I don't see it happening much.

Over all I can see the idea of less loops to get tangled or snagged working but I'm not sure how often this happens with people who are not doing penetrations of some kind.

Hey formernuke,
If we get to dive together this season you will probably get to see this set up in action- I use a longhose and octo on necklace on both my doubles and singles rigs, either with a plate (doubles) or sometimes a TransPac (singles).

I think the shop starting people off in a plate and wing is a good idea. It is easier to get horizontal trim. The best thing about the plate is the harness is adjustable so you don't have issues with changing suits, they are more universal sized. When I started diving I had a black diamond. The thing was adjusted all the way in with a wetsuit and all the way out with a drysuit. I wished I would have gotten a plate and wing to start with. As for doubles if your doing even deep rec dives they are nice to have for redundancy. I started diving doubles after about 60 dives, admitted I want to start tech classes this year. But I dive doubles all the time now. Knowing I have a complete backup tank and reg is a nice safety feature, sometimes equipment fails. Just my thought

I used to agree with your sentiment when I first went to a BP/W, and while it is easier to trim out in one, if you're proficient, you can trim out with a plastic bucket for a BCD (seriously, I've seen people do it). Once I started DM training, and I had to wear shop gear, I realized that if you have skill, your BC doesn't matter as far as trim, that's all in your posture and ability.

I think putting people in a BP/W right off the bat is a pain, the last two people we trained who bought tech rigs kept complaining about it "trying to float them face down", and being "...difficult to get in and out of." They returned their tech rigs and both got regular BCs. New divers typically don't need a tech rig, and then they have to lug a steel plate in their luggage for the three times a year they dive, buy an ali plate, or buy another type of travel plate. Don't mistake me, the BP/W (IMO) is the best way to go, but I wouldn't say that it's the only way to go.

Equipment shouldn't replace skill. I dive in an Oceanic BC most of the time, and I can trim that bad boy like a 747. You have to keep in mind that most new divers (which is what we are talking about in this thread) don't dive 100 times a year. They fly to Jamaica once or twice a year and call it good. I still have many people bringing in 80's regs to get serviced. It's like a Miami Vice episode.

It is no different than going to the gym, one person chooses to get in shape, one chooses to be a body builder.
QUOTE]

I don't like these types of analogies because they always end up implying (intentional or not) that in tech diving there is some standard for fitness, which (maybe with the exception of one or two agencies) is simply not the case. There are a ton of overweight tech divers, its got little to do with being in shape let alone some type of intense physical conditioning like body building.

Perhaps a better analogy would be. It is no different than some one who enjoys walking on a balance beam and those that chose to tight rope walk between the twin towers, or maybe bungee jumping versus base jumping. Though, my examples are too shortsighted as they try to make tech divers out to be adrenaline junkies. Whatever.

Why is tech suddenly the in thing for new divers? The internet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom