Why is tech suddenly the in thing for new divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I pointed out earlier in this thread, there is also a lot of expensive rec gear being pushed off on new divers. $2000 AI computers with heartrate monitors, anyone?

I agree that is silly to be getting a $2000 AI computer. But it still does not change the fact that the shops pushing tech on newbies are just raping them as much as regular oc shops pushing ultra expensive gear on a Newbie. A good shop should be able to put a newbie into a good set of gear that newbie will not out grow fast for under 1500 bucks with everything, from bag to reg.

But it still does not change the fact that the shops pushing tech on newbies are just raping them as much as regular oc shops pushing ultra expensive gear on a Newbie. A good shop should be able to put a newbie into a good set of gear that newbie will not out grow fast for under 1500 bucks with everything, from bag to reg.

Is part of the problem with this that - many shops are owned by hobbyists turned shop owners, rather than experienced retailers who open dive shops?

Is part of the problem with this that - many shops are owned by hobbyists turned shop owners, rather than experienced retailers who open dive shops?

That is why the big online shops are doing better, they understand that it is a business and run it according.

The rebreather thing seems a bit off-topic. Who knows what people will be using in 30+ years from now. Some new polymer or scrubber tech could easily revolutionize the industry.

As for teaching us newbs... I think tech/DIR makes a lot of sense. IMO, streamlining the gear selection and focusing on simplicity of operation makes learning easier and safer. Selling $2000 computers and double tanks is IMO a different issue than training people with a tech/DIR mindset. For that issue, I think it is consumer beware. Many shops are going to sell you what you can afford rather than what you need and that is not unique to diving.

As for owning the gear before or during OW or AOW, I think if you can afford it that it is a good thing. I personally like being educated on the gear I plan on using. I like that I am not going to get hit with rental fees and most importantly I like knowing where my gear has been and how well it has been serviced. There is a responsibility there, but I think it is a good one to have and understand.

$1500 for quality gear out the door is a bit tough but can be done. If you go used/grey market/online, it can be done easy enough but most LDS packages in that price range I have been offered have been deficient in one way or another.

The rebreather thing seems a bit off-topic. Who knows what people will be using in 30+ years from now. Some new polymer or scrubber tech could easily revolutionize the industry.

As for teaching us newbs... I think tech/DIR makes a lot of sense. IMO, streamlining the gear selection and focusing on simplicity of operation makes learning easier and safer. Selling $2000 computers and double tanks is IMO a different issue than training people with a tech/DIR mindset. For that issue, I think it is consumer beware. Many shops are going to sell you what you can afford rather than what you need and that is not unique to diving.

As for owning the gear before or during OW or AOW, I think if you can afford it that it is a good thing. I personally like being educated on the gear I plan on using. I like that I am not going to get hit with rental fees and most importantly I like knowing where my gear has been and how well it has been serviced. There is a responsibility there, but I think it is a good one to have and understand.

$1500 for quality gear out the door is a bit tough but can be done. If you go used/grey market/online, it can be done easy enough but most LDS packages in that price range I have been offered have been deficient in one way or another.

1500 bucks for all new gear, not gray market. I did it a bunch of times. full 3mm hyper stretch suit, split fins, big eye mask and snokel, environmentally sealed reg, oct, console(pg,depth gauge and compass), BC weight integrated, travel wheel bag, boat mesh bag, and bootie, all items comes with a full manufactures warranty. :D

Last edited:
I think the last "complete" package I was offered with Hog BPW setup didn't come with an SMB and other smaller items that add up quickly, used a fairly budget reg, no computer and was just short of $1700 which I thought was OK but not a particularly good deal. I have spoken with at least a half dozen LDSes in my area and their prices assume I am going to do some type of training with them. I am sure you can find a good setup for $1500 from a LDS but like I said it likely won't be easy.

the last time I went with a friend of my wife's, her package includes the oceanic gt3 dvt and the Mares Kaila. with all the others things mention and it was just a tad over 1500 bucks out the door. A quality reg and top of the line bc.

If we added a nitrox ready console computer and smb it would have been 150 more. A computer and smb is not a must have to rec dive.

Last edited:
I don't consider it a must have but I travel for my dives and it certainly is a nice-to-have item. By purchasing online or used, you can get everything in or around $1500 and I would bet that it will be higher end gear as well.

I agree buying online or a visiting the online retailer shops you will get new higher end gear then visiting a small shop.

The dive shop I certified with usually asks new divers "Do you think you may have an interest in tech diving in the future?". They do this in order to try and steer the diver to the equipment configuration that will most suit his/her interests. When I bought my gear I went towards a recreational setup with split fins, a back floatation BC, and a 7 mm wetsuit. Now I have developed an interest in tech diving (we have a very experienced instructor and a relatively large tech diving community here) and am finding that most of my gear will not support this direction. Now, I am wishing that I had purchased a backplate and wings to start with as this would have functioned equally well for rec or tech.

Live and learn I guess, but the biggest reason I believe a lot of folks are migrating towards tech is the explorer spirit in every diver. Hey, isn't that one of the reasons we dive? To go where most people can't? Now the waters are becoming saturated with divers, and to explore we have to take it a bit deeper. Also let's face it, to master the skills of tech diving is a heck of a confidence boost even for our rec diving trips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom