Why isn't the Freedom Plate DIR compliant?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you think your "wholesale" pricing is conducive to getting the Freedom Plate "hung up on display" by an LDS?

I think part of his problem is he is just selling a plate and not a complete package. I don't think many people buy a Halcyon or Scubapro plate without buying the package. Usually a dive shop will give you a deal on the package. One alternative for him is to try and become a Hog Dealer and sell a complete package. Another alternative would be to try and partner with DRIS (after perfecting the STA) and use their wing with your backplate.

I think part of his problem is he is just selling a plate and not a complete package. I don't think many people buy a Halcyon or Scubapro plate without buying the package. Usually a dive shop will give you a deal on the package. One alternative for him is to try and become a Hog Dealer and sell a complete package. Another alternative would be to try and partner with DRIS (after perfecting the STA) and use their wing with your backplate.

and a third is all the people that bought HALCYON single tank bp/wing set ups, then migrated to tech and doubles wing, and now are back to wanting to dive their single tank rig without all the bother of having to re-rig ever time they want to...so they can get a new halcyon harness and a Fredom plate for the single tank wing they began with!

and a third is all the people that bought HALCYON single tank bp/wing set ups, then migrated to tech and doubles wing, and now are back to wanting to dive their single tank rig without all the bother of having to re-rig ever time they want to...so they can get a new halcyon harness and a Fredom plate for the single tank wing they began with!

Dan, help me understand "all the bother of having to re-rig" my Halcyon plate and harness when I switch between doubles and singles.

Having personally done this "re-rigging" many, many times at this point in my dive career... I can't seem to recall "all the bother" you refer to. Basically involves nothing more than loosening and then tightening two of these...

WINGNUTMOM.JPG

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 196
Halcyon is not the only wing on the market that requires an STA. AGIR, DRIS, and Light Monkey also require an STA.

Dan, help me understand "all the bother of having to re-rig" my Halcyon plate and harness when I switch between doubles and singles.

Having personally done this "re-rigging" many, many times at this point in my dive career... I can't seem to recall "all the bother" you refer to. Basically involves nothing more than loosening and then tightening two of these...

WINGNUTMOM.JPG

They put a hole in my wet suit, I now use the DSS thumb wheels or AGIR star wheels.

They put a hole in my wet suit, I now use the DSS thumb wheels or AGIR star wheels.

Yeah, I use the DSS wheels as well.

WINGNUTMOM.JPG

I have a lot going on in my life--lots of things that compete for time. I don't like wasting time taking a doubles rig apart, including switching hoses on the regs. I actually refuse to spend time like this....so I have a doubles rig complete with regs, and a singles rig with it's own regs. When I want to do EITHER tech or recreational, everything is ready, and it takes zero time to waste on this.
Maybe you like pulling the wing off the plate, putting the other on, and then fussing with all the reg hose changes--I don't..and I can't be the only one without time for this.

It's also not a change over issue, it's a fit and comfort issue. People would not know this who have never tried the plate.
Maybe a few reading this who have used both can testify to what they like about the shape and comfort of the Freedom Plate over the standard plate that made them never go back to a standard plate for single tank diving.
The wing nut issue becomes kind of a moot point when in my opinion there is an entirely better solution.

I have a lot going on in my life--lots of things that compete for time. I don't like wasting time taking a doubles rig apart, including switching hoses on the regs. I actually refuse to spend time like this....so I have a doubles rig complete with regs, and a singles rig with it's own regs. When I want to do EITHER tech or recreational, everything is ready, and it takes zero time to waste on this.
Maybe you like pulling the wing off the plate, putting the other on, and then fussing with all the reg hose changes--I don't..and I can't be the only one without time for this.

Good reason to have regulators for single tank and double tank diving. I'm with RJP, switching between single tank and double tank setups is a <1 minute task.

---------- Post added November 4th, 2013 at 07:35 AM ----------

It's also not a change over issue, it's a fit and comfort issue. People would not know this who have never tried the plate.

I understand this in principle. The important question is whether or not people have fit and comfort issues with the plates they have. I don't, personally. Are you solving a problem that exists or creating one that you have a solution for? The trade off of "improved comfort" over "reduced flexibility to standardize my kit" is a tradeoff that divers will have to evaluate.

As you said, some GUE/DIR divers are using your kit. Clearly it can be incorporated by trained DIR divers. It may be tricky to get by in a class with one but I'm pretty sure most of us take what we're trained in, pass it through a filter of what makes sense to us and then adapts our personal diving around those tweaks.

Most folks are not robots manufactured in a GUE training factory.

Good reason to have regulators for single tank and double tank diving. I'm with RJP, switching between single tank and double tank setups is a <1 minute task.

Not that this is worth you or me arguing about.... :) .... but if I dive tech here in Palm Beach, even in summertime, we have thermoclines on half the days we may go....it can be 80 degrees on top, 55 degrees at 250 feet.
So I have to use a drysuit.....My drysuit with the right insulation requires quite a bit of harness adjustment from my 3.5 mill freedive wet suit, which I use all year in Florida for recreational dives. So figure each time I would have to switch from tech to recreational, or back, it is more like a 15 minute pain in the butt I don't like screwing with....Plus, once I get a harness and rig set up perfectly for trim and fit, I REALLY don't like changing this adjustment for any reason..having the separate bp/harness is a small amount of cash, and the investment ( the harness and plate) will last forever. You already have the singles wing, if you are now in doubles.....If you began as a new diver with doubles rather than a single tank set up, someone saw you coming and caused you to make poor choices in what you should start with. Double tanks are a huge mistake for diving in most great dive locations around the world, and this is particularly true in South Florida.....90% of our dive sites are 90 feet or less, and you only have an hour per dive...you use professional charter boats that run 2 trips a day or more, and there are no 2 hour long dives on recreational boats, and the boats are not designed to carry your 2 sets of double 80's for each doubles diver....and if you plan on running 2 dives with one set of doubles, now you are likely to get a shorter dive than many of the recreational divers ( who would be using a hp100 on a 90 foot dive). Use double hp 100's and your rig is too heavy, and you are diving foolishly overweighted for Florida diving--especially for 90 foot dives.

Diving doubles on a recreational dive means you are pulling so much drag with you, that your cruising speed is pathetically slow--and you would not easily be able to keep up with fit friends on single tank rigs, out for a medium paced cruise style dive. You'd be fine on macro dives--which I hate......and you do way more work lugging the doubles around between boat, shop for fills, and garage...... I see doubles as an evil I can't do without on a dive deeper than 140 feet.
I am not using them for standard recreational diving, and I don't think it is an intelligent practice for recreational diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom