Why isnt there Any Money for Divemasters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hank49:
Nope, not saying that at all. What I am saying is that generally, the more time and money you put into training and or education (masters degree is 6 years college and $60K, PhD 8 years college, $80K) the more money earning potential you have on the job market.
Becoming a divemaster doesn't take much time or money relative to higher paying professions. To take it to the next level with 20 years experience and knowledge of the ocean etc, unfortunately doesn't necessarily earn more money due to industry benchmark payscales for divemasters. Like a union carpenter with 20 years under his belt doesn't make much more than a 21 year old carpenter. Hank

I don't agree, because you're talking apples and oranges. First, there is no job market for divemasters, and few, IMO, would consider a DM card an end result. Its a means to get to instructor, for the most part. Whether that becomes a career or not is immaterial to the discussion.

Training and education for a job market career are totally different than me taking DM training and having a reasonable expectation of getting paid for work done after that certification is achieved. You're making it too complicated. You learn a skill, you get paid for it.

MD

So, you're saying that anyone who doesn't have a college degree shouldn't be paid for work they do?
The cost to get a DM card doesn't mean squat. If you have skills, and you use those skills, you should be paid. Either in cash or in kind, depending on your wishes.[/QUOTE]

Nope, not saying that at all. What I am saying is that generally, the more time and money you put into training and or education (masters degree is 6 years college and $60K, PhD 8 years college, $80K) the more money earning potential you have on the job market.
Becoming a divemaster doesn't take much time or money relative to higher paying professions. To take it to the next level with 20 years experience and knowledge of the ocean etc, unfortunately doesn't necessarily earn more money due to industry benchmark payscales for divemasters. Like a union carpenter with 20 years under his belt doesn't make much more than a 21 year old carpenter. Hank[/QUOTE]

I have a couple of college degrees and a DM card, and still earn squat..

MechDiver:
I don't agree, because you're talking apples and oranges. First, there is no job market for divemasters, and few, IMO, would consider a DM card an end result. Its a means to get to instructor, for the most part. Whether that becomes a career or not is immaterial to the discussion.

Training and education for a job market career are totally different than me taking DM training and having a reasonable expectation of getting paid for work done after that certification is achieved. You're making it too complicated. You learn a skill, you get paid for it.MD

I don't see how it's complicated. Let's say you take a course on repairing lawn mower engines and it takes four months. You'll get paid $7 per hour or so. Go on to get a four year engineering degree and design the engines and you'll make $60K per year. Get a PhD and teach the four year degree engineers and you'll make $80K. To make "oranges to oranges", look at DM to instructor to Course Director. The course Director is the PhD of diving.(recreational anyway) and makes more than DMs or OWSIs per course taught. The question of the thread was "Why is there no money for divemasters"? Because they have only achieved the "lawn mower engine repairman" level in the corporate structure of the recreational dive industry.

cancun mark:
I have a couple of college degrees and a DM card, and still earn squat..

Relative to? Donald Trump? Bill Gates? I thought Cancun was the Silicon Valley of diving and all you guys retire at age 45. ha.

MikeFerrara:
Except for I know DMs who work for free who are doctors and lawyers and live in million dollar houses and have bank accounts stuffed with money. LOL
Are any female, single and not very picky?

Joe

Diver0001 - could have used you at my first pool class this week! LOL - The DM that was helping the Instructor ended up helping me - boy did I need it and was greatful for it! I can see how it would be fulfilling helping a newbie such as myself breathe from a regulator for the first time (oh yeah you have to breathe in AND out - took a while to figure that one out - LOL) - wish me luck and lots of patience from the DM that is helping with MY class!

As a 30 dive AOW I am absolutely gagging to get on to Rescue,DM and OWI. I'm lucky to have had the experiences mentioned of seeing people doing things for the first time and sharing their excitement and satisfaction as I spent a fw years teaching people to ride motorcycles. I believe there are quite a few parallels to be drawn between the two disciplines.
Both are predominantly leisure pursuits for people with a healthy disposable income. Both are potentially dangerous.Both have very low paid instructors. Both are equipment intensive (ahh SSI) and in both cases,it's only when you've got your initial certificate that you actually start to learn stuff.
And in both cases, the people who teach students (at any level) do it because they love what they do. It's that enthusiasm and passion that comes across to a student and encourages them to strive for better skills. They want to emulate their teacher. And the teacher is always the one who gets the best pay-off by seeing their "ducklings" get certified and become swans. I loved bike teaching and I will love teaching SCUBA. As long as you make enough money to live simply, your reward is there every day.
I know this sounds a bit syrupy but it's heartfelt.

Surely, as many have already said, those DM's who choose to remain at that level are doing it for the love of diving. I imagine most (if not all) have perminant weekday jobs. I intend to achieve DM status midway through this year and hopefully will end up diving for free as well as assisting fellow divers.

Simple rewards for a lover of simple things...

paultaylor:
Surely, as many have already said, those DM's who choose to remain at that level are doing it for the love of diving. I imagine most (if not all) have perminant weekday jobs. I intend to achieve DM status midway through this year and hopefully will end up diving for free as well as assisting fellow divers.

Simple rewards for a lover of simple things...

Not all! :wink: Well, being a divemaster is my perminant weekday job. I think you're right though... you have to love diving, at least you have to love diving more than you love money.

I can make money as a divemaster?!?!?!?!?! :11:

Seriously, I'm actually paying out of pocket in order to keep my DM.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom