Why jump in the water and then float around?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Puffer Fish:
I've had a helping DM go around and check everyone's air and turn it on.. only mine was already on.. so they turned it off.

wow.

WOW.

I always ask people to not touch my valves. That's why.

Puffer Fish:
Most of the time it does not matter.. but there are times when one or the other is required..everyone should know how to comfortably do both.. and you are correct..the rest of the time do what you want.

I do not dive anywhere that requires a hot entry.

scratchmyback:
I do not dive anywhere that requires a hot entry.
Then the ocean is yours to do with it what you will. I usually get 2 or 3 a year... always fun.

Mine are usually strong current dives, where to hit the object, you have to go down fast and hope to run into it. Stay on the surface and you drift right by it.

I had adjusted the angle on my inflator hose on the wing. I thought I had properly tightened it. I jumped in, tried to pop a bit of air into the wing...nothing, turned out it had cross threaded and wouldn't seal. Had I not tried it out and just done a hot entry, I would have had to at least dump weights to get back to the surface, as it was I was struggling to stay up until I could grab the boat and get someone to look at it. Luckily it was easily rethreaded, sealed and tested and I was able to do the dive. Another lucky thing was we were only in 20 feet of water rather than over the Oriskany with 200 feet to the bottom. With doubles or large volume steels you may well be negative at the start of the dive by several pounds.

On another dive with a group (no assigned partners, we were just supposed to follow the DM) the DM told me, as the most advanced diver there, to go ahead and submerge and wait at a patch of sand at 50 feet. So I did a hot entry and submerged to the the sand. 10 minutes later the rest of the group showed up, needless to say I lost ten minutes of dive time and NDL. It would have better to wait until the rest were in the water and then submerge. I had to call my part of the dive early because I ran out of NDL.

In high current situations, yes, a hot entry probably is called for, but for most dives it is a bit of overkill and usually may cause negative, not positive results.

Just my .02

Mike

I will normally wait on the surface for my buddy. I am first in, my son and/or my friend who is new OW, next. They each need the extra minute or so to calm and orient themselves. Yes, we have gone over the buddy checks, have air, etc. They are new and I will not rush them until they are comfortable. I do get well out of the way so I am not in the way of other divers entering.
The times the water has been choppy, my son has chosen not to dive as he felt uncomfortable with the conditions. At that time, I had different buddies and we agreed to wait about 10 ft. under. Giant stride, quick "OK" (as required by boat crew) and under. Look up and wait for buddy. He knew I was there watching in case of an abort.

If there are divers that want to sink as soon as they jump in, go ahead. I will always try and move out of the way as soon as I get in, but I will always wait on the surface if my buddy requires or requests it.

Because I forgot my *#(@ weightbelt on the boat.:D

Ok. I jump/roll in, signal and move out of the general area (front of boat, line, down the side, etc). I then wait for my buddies, do a last self-check (make sure nothing happened to come off during entry), and meet up then drop down together.

If there is a negative entry (swift drift dive for example) then I go the negative route. The routine on most dives though is to meet on the surface before we go.

Tom Winters:
Alive or dead, floaters are bad business. Get in, and get down. Wait on the anchor line - just get off the surface.

Well THATS a happy couple of sentences:jump:

Seems some of you confuse a hot drop with going diving. Don't know what a hot drop is, probably something behind enemy lines? It does seem however that some of you have issues with being prepared, having functioning equipment and ready to dive when you hit the water. Most divers on a typical open water dive should not be so heavily weighted they will sink uncontrollably etc, this is all a part of being ready and being prepared and being pre-rigged for the dive. Floundering around 23 miles from shore is 4 foot swells that cost you 150 dollars to get there perhaps is not the best time to "adjust" your equipment--it and you should be ready to go--it is much cheaper to adjust your equipment in the pool.

N

Meet me on the anchor line.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom