Why leave your gauges and octopus dangling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a clip on my left upper D-ring that I have used to secure my consol in the past, but based on how it hanged, I have never though it was 'streamedlined' as it was, well, hanging a bit from my chest.
When I left my consol loose and I'm swimming, even slowly, it stays in line with my leg, which seems more streamlined. Not sure if you see what I mean.

spectrum:
I agree some must find it photogenic or something. You see it a lot in all sorts of old photos and movies where you know (hope) the subject was surrounded by seasoned divers.

No good can come from unrestrained gear.

Pete

You also see it in some of the certification agency videos. My NAUI Risk & Awareness video is where I start pointing out to my students what danglies are and what I had better not see when they're diving. My Florida Springs video has danglies as well, if I remember correctly there is one point where the diver's octo is down between his legs.
Ber :lilbunny:

I really should mention that I do not like my consol dangling and I am always working on new ways to have it secured. Because it is loose, I do take special precautions.
I did find something that I am going to try this weekend. Hopefully it will work.

I'm no expert,(or even pretend to be), but this is what I do....spg is attached to a snap-bolt with an O-ring, which I clip off to my right shoulder D ring. That way, I can glance down at the spg by looking down. It's a little more difficult to see at night, so I attach an electrical tie to the D-ring and clip it off on that.

The Octo is clipped off on one of those bungie-type octo holders, on my left hip D ring. I could definitely be more streamlined, but at least I'm not too "danglie" I just got the gear, and have ~12 dives on it....so I'm still working on the configuration. I'll probably move the Octo to the right D ring to see how that works out.

Any constructive criticism,(except for the Redskins jersey!),concerning the set-up/configuration would be greatly appreciated by the resident experts. Thanks!

Picture014.jpg
[/IMG]

I like the Redskins jersey. It makes you easy to identify in the water. When you are diving in groups at busy dive sites every little helps!!!

Probably because they have not had enough dives to have the experiance of getting snagged because they let something lose or dangle, or have not had the experiance of trying to find something in an emergency.

When I was taking OW they told us to stay streamlined, but then gave us rental equipment with no clips or ways to keep us streamlined.

Our first couple of trips we rented gear, again no clips or octo holders. On the last trip we bought some clips just for the rental gear.

Now we finally have our own equipment. But I would say most people who have dangly things are because they are renting.

rongoodman:
I can assure you that in my PADI OW course streamlining equipment was never mentioned.

PADI Open Water Diver Manual, Chapter 1, page 59, Section Titled "Secure hoses and streamline you gear". I'm pretty sure it's mentioned in the DVD also.

...and did I fell off the couch the other nite,:popcorn: :confused:

On Discovery Chanel, up here in Canada, there is a program called " Daily Planet ".

The other nite, there was a report on astronauts training in an underwater lab, off the coasts of Florida, near the Keys.

Well, what do you know, these guys train underwate in scuba gear ( not the space suit ) with their gear hanging !!!! :confused: :confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom