Why leave your gauges and octopus dangling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well thanks to this thread, I thought of an idea, tried it today and it worked out fine.
I had a retractable that I did a little conversion to and hanged my gauges from my left upper D-ring. It stayed in a good position with me able to read my spg by just glancing down. I a little was worried that it might get in the wayof the inflator, but it wasn't a problem.
I'll continue to work on refining it.

My LDS that I worked with, use this following method for rental gear (without clips) and every time when we teach new OW students.

for Octo, most of the jacket-style BCD, above the left shoulder buckel, would have a small sleeve.
Then we bend the Octo close to the 2nd stage, make a small U-shape loop..
and then pust the close end of the loop into the sleve above the left shoulder buckel.

the Octo stay there for most of the dive.. neatly tucked away..

For Console, keep it between the cummerband and cinged strap.

the we emphasised this every time they assemble the gear. both pool and sea session.
and even when they're on liveaboard trip with us..

- AI wrist computer with transmitter. $950.
- 7' hose for primary regulator. $35.
- Bungie for alternate regulator $3.
- No danglies? Priceless.

We dove once with a guy who had everything dangling, never bothering to try to secure anything. He kinda stared at us as we geared up, clipping everything off to our bodies, but didn't say anything. On the first dive, he got his SPG caught between two lava rock formations and did some serious damage to it pulling it out. He was forced to surface and couldn't do the second dive. On the ride back to shore, I saw him and my husband talking and my husband reported to me that the guy was very angry that nobody had ever taught him to clip things off.

When we got back to the shop, my husband helped him pick clips and retractors while the technician looked at his SPG to see if it could be saved (it couldn't).

I hate to see the dangle. I have an octo plug which is attached to my BC. I also want to get a retactor for my gauges. I think it is better to be streamlined and to know where things are.

rongoodman:
I can assure you that in my PADI OW course streamlining equipment was never mentioned.

If you do the standard thing and don't read the book except for scanning for the answers and didn't watch the video then I believe you. If you actaully read the book and watched the video then it was mentioned several times. Maybe not by your instructor (even they he/she should have talked about it), but the information was presented.

RJP:
- AI wrist computer with transmitter. $950.
- 7' hose for primary regulator. $35.
- Bungie for alternate regulator $3.
- No danglies? Priceless.
This is very good.
This is how I add it up.
-12 two tank dives on cattle boat $960
-one e-bay three guage console on dangling hose $35
-one bottle of water and a granola bar for S.I. $3
-knowing that nobody on a cattle boat cares about your equipment, that is truly Priceless.
For my dollar I would rather dangle and dive than to work overtime on the weekends to pay for the non-danglies.

Of course, you can also buy a $10 clip for your SPG, and a $3 bungy cord loop for your octopus.

Then you're dangly free for $13, have less drag and far less chance of damaging your equipment or anything on the bottom where you dive.

What? Danglies AREN'T cool? Must rethink this one, we must. :D

I did dive with someone (a guy) who claimed to have done the ultimate dangly dive in Malaysia.... will leave it to your imagination but I can't think of a appropriate method he could have secured his dangly bit with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom