Why neutral buoyancy isn't

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Better to be Negative than Positive......Better to be an Elephant than an ***!

WOW! opened a whole new can of worms with that one didn't I?

Rick Murchison:
We cannot get our weight exactly right because the amount of water we displace is always changing, because we’re breathing. As we inhale we increase our volume, displacing more water. Since our weight remains the same we become more buoyant; likewise we become less buoyant when we exhale

Enjoyed and appreciated the article. ... and it sent me off looking for some ancillary material.

http:hypertextbook.com/facts/2001LaurenCalabrese.shtml

This is a short on-line article talking about lung capacity and "lung tidal volumn"... and, when you consider that a "pint volumn" of air is generally considered sufficient to lift a pound... the article can explain a bit more about just how much breathing can affect bouyancy.

Thanks Rick, love it when real gold shows up on SB...

Took my Rebreather to the "Ore" wreck this weekend....120'...easy dive....but put the 15 lbs on my waist.....need to balance the weight better....great dive.

I've always heard about Lion Fish off the coast of NC....always thought those reports were just bs.....but dang....if not a 100 Lion Fish on this wreck, I'm not posting this post......some of those sobs were 2' long....everywhere! How did they get here?

Doug

Garrobo:
Apollo Bio-fins? Never heard of them. The reason I use the Force Fins is because they have eliminated any leg cramps. When I first started diving it was cramps all the time. An instructor let me use a pair of his FF's and the cramps went away. Sold me.

The BC that really goes well with the force fins is called the Mares HUB. You should look into it. It's a h*ll of a piece of equipment. May be the just thing to really cut into your air consumption.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom