Why Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
After spending some time searching for information I can't seem to find a simple thread explaining the benefits/disadvantages to diving with Nitrox. I can't beleive that this hasn't been discussed so can some post a link or discuss them here?

Thanks

Benefits - Longer bottom time with shorter surface intervals

Disadvantages - Since the oxygen content is higher you have a shallower depth due to oxygen toxicity. More expensive than air to fill, all equipment needs to be capable of supporting Nitrox (tank, regulator, pressure gauge, etc). Additional training required.

Diving with Nitrox offers it's biggest advantage over air in the 60'-100' range where is some instances 36% O2 will double your allowable bottom time.

That being said, it does nothing to improve to surface air consumption (SAC rate).

Some will say that it offers a greater margin of safety over air when diving the same profiles but lawyers don't like that language because there are other risk factors introduced such as the potential for (however small) for oxygen toxicity.

The real advantages are seen in diving multiple dives over multiple days as you will absorb less nitrogen into your system over time and thus be able to return to the water with less surface time out of the water.

All around a good deal.

Nobody knows why, But I just feel better after a dive with Nitrox than doing the same dive with air....

This is discussed often here - don't know why you didn't find any of the threads, but it's ok. It's a popular subject so it's nice to review it again and again for the new members coming on...

For me, it's not as important on 80cf tanks, as I hit 1000# before long before the NDL and start my ascent, but give me 100cf tanks and that changes to 50% more bottom time. For the non-hog diver, this will happen even with 80s.

Even with 80s, I'll still spend more for it for the overall reduced N2 build up and shorter SIs required. Even in Cozumel where it's $10 a tank, I'll do the second tank on it to have an shallower adjusted air depth and a second dive to depth.
jumping-smiley-008.gif

Even if you SAC isn't the greatest, and you don't get the benefits of the longer bottom times, your surface intervals can be a great deal shorter.

It also affects the depth at which you get narc'ed.

One other perceived benefit, I say perceived because you can't quantify how good you feel, but you aren't as tired after nitrox dives. A buddy of mine says it makes him feel "like a new man!" I also noticed this after a day of rough seas, and alot of technicolor yawning on my part. Usually when I get sea sick, I feel better once on dry land, but am completely wore out. That day, with some extensive sea sickness, I felt great when I got back to the dock, and did for the rest of the day too.

The bit about the equipment is a little misleading. For Nitrox 1, which is 40% O2 and below (IIRC), you only need a special tank, or the tanks you're usuing to be O2 cleaned. The rest of your gear, provided your computer is Nitrox compatible, will remain the same. If you go on to nitrox 2, I believe that's a different story.

Pyrofish:
Even if you SAC isn't the greatest, and you don't get the benefits of the longer bottom times, your surface intervals can be a great deal shorter.

One other perceived benefit, I say perceived because you can't quantify how good you feel, but you aren't as tired after nitrox dives. A buddy of mine says it makes him feel "like a new man!" I also noticed this after a day of rough seas, and alot of technicolor yawning on my part. Usually when I get sea sick, I feel better once on dry land, but am completely wore out. That day, with some extensive sea sickness, I felt great when I got back to the dock, and did for the rest of the day too.

The bit about the equipment is a little misleading. For Nitrox 1, which is 40% O2 and below (IIRC), you only need a special tank, or the tanks you're usuing to be O2 cleaned. The rest of your gear, provided your computer is Nitrox compatible, will remain the same. If you go on to nitrox 2, I believe that's a different story.

You'll hear that until you can reach the NDLs for diving on air, Nitrox is useless. But that fails to take into account the reduced SITs you'll have. Diving nitrox might allow you to get in 4 or 5 dives where you'd only get the chance for 2 to 3 otherwise, by reducing that surface interval.

As for its effect on narcosis, reducing nitrogen will reduce the narcotic effects of NITROGEN but oxygen is thought to be narcotic too. So NITROX's effects on narcosis isn't known.

:confused:
Now, I've not seen or felt that? O2 is also narcotic, so where did you get this.

The only time I have every truly noticed narcosis (I keep in mind that it's there and working to a degree anytime I go to any depth) was an Ooops! dive off of Utila, and that slammed me. Took a little dip to test the feeling, hit it, totally missed my turn depth with the feel-good feeling, scarey. :11: And caught all kinds of hell from the other divers who had never made a mistake!!

But I've been to 100+ on air and Nitrox both many times without feeling it - so where did you get that idea?
confused-smiley-010.gif

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom