why not beat the dead horse?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what was great for my practice was that after we finished training, we had to clean the bottom of the pool. I guess that is part of the deal the shop makes for letting us use LSU's pool.
Anyway, cleaning meant swimming on the bottom and trying to push everything toward the drains. This was great because I had to hover, remain buoyant with good trim and when I wanted to push, I could push my head down and do the legs up, head down position. Then when finished and swimming back for another push, I put my head back and my legs went down and I resumed horizontal.
Neato, just like what I saw in the 5thd-x video. I actually felt like I was doing it correctly. Where was the camera guy when I needed him?

MonkSeal:
And what's the purpose of such drill?

I wondered that as well as I prepared to do it for my DM cert. It's designed to do nothing more than stress you out to see how you handle it and then rate your comfort in the water. I ended buying a cheap jacket BC (ouch I'm sorry) to do pool work and help with classes. My instructor is a very good diver but the BP/W just didn't sit well with the LDS' methods. It's funny now they tell me I can wear whatever I want helping out on OW stuff so I've gained some leeway :) Anyway back to the gear exchange. It's a big CF while buddy breathing. I must say I did learn some things about stress management and just how far I could push myself to the panic threshold. It's not a good feeling having no mask and your buddy not giving up the reg when you need it (not timing right or just hogging the reg) I bailed to the surface at one point but after I did it I realized I should have just went to my backup reg. I got yelled at for not fixing my problems underwater. Had that been a real scenario, with no backup gas (any kind) well I could have been dead. So I learned a few things for sure. One is that buddy breathing should be taught and practiced (well maybe) but I would not want to rely on it to save my ***. Especially if both divers are stressed. And I saw firsthand the benefits of a bungied octo. 3-4 inches away. Great without a mask or under stress. Anyway that's my experience with it. Been there, done that. Now I'm off to do some more advanced training more in line with how I dive and how I want to dive. I'm done with the CF stuff.

Carribeandiver:
I was trying to hover while everyone else was standing on the bottom -- fins flat on the bottom of the pool. I remember looking at each one and thinking how it reminded me of Jules Vern and those movies where the divers walked on the bottom. I also was thinking how do they do that? They were like they were nailed down.
Keep practicing ... I can think of one time when it had advantages. In 2005, when I went to Roatan, we went out on this dolphin dive with Anthony's. They take you out to this flat, sandy spot and instruct everyone to get on their knees in a circle and the dolphins will come to you. Well, I decided I didn't want to get on my knees, so instead I hovered at about everyone else's eye level. Sure enough, the dolphins came over to investigate, and they kept swimming up to me ... I got more interaction with the dolphins than anyone. After a while, the other divers started to notice, and one-by-one they got off their knees and up in the water column with the dolphins.

I guess dolphins like divers who look like fish better than they like divers who look like sea fans ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob,

As you no doubt are aware, this is not restricted to dolphins. The interaction available with marine life when you can actually be still in the water seems to raise their curiosity. Doing it on CCR is something else altogether.

PerroneFord:
Bob,

As you no doubt are aware, this is not restricted to dolphins. The interaction available with marine life when you can actually be still in the water seems to raise their curiosity. Doing it on CCR is something else altogether.
Oh, I am aware ... I get lots of folks asking me how I get some of the close-up pics I take. My answer is usually that I just stay still and let the critter come to me ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
I guess dolphins like divers who look like fish better than they like divers who look like sea fans ...... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Prolly cause they taste better.

NWGratefulDiver:
Keep practicing ... I can think of one time when it had advantages. In 2005, when I went to Roatan, we went out on this dolphin dive with Anthony's. They take you out to this flat, sandy spot and instruct everyone to get on their knees in a circle and the dolphins will come to you. Well, I decided I didn't want to get on my knees, so instead I hovered at about everyone else's eye level. Sure enough, the dolphins came over to investigate, and they kept swimming up to me ... I got more interaction with the dolphins than anyone. After a while, the other divers started to notice, and one-by-one they got off their knees and up in the water column with the dolphins.

I guess dolphins like divers who look like fish better than they like divers who look like sea fans ...

I remember the first time I swam with dolphins off of Port Hardy, BC. Before we got in the boat captain told us "They like people who move. The more you put into this, the more you'll get out of it". Sure enough, those of us that did surface dives and basically put in a lot of activity were rewarded with the dolphins responding in kind. Those that just sat on the surface saw not too much.

I can imagine that those in your group that were planted on the bottom elicited the same response as those in my group who planted themselves on the surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom