Why not more titanium?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagfish

The man behind the fish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
While I can see that the weight of stainless is an asset in some applications (like a backplate), I am constantly wondering why it isn't utilized more in most of the applications where SS is used in scuba. I have read here that some kinds of machining are more challenging in Ti, but then I see plenty of rather complicated products in this material (like guns and regulators)

Why not more of the following in Ti?...
D-rings (I see Seaquest puts them on a BC or two)
webbing sliders, etc.
Assorted Clips, double enders, etc.
various scuba tools and implements

What gives?

$$$$$

$$ and the fact that titanium is a bit brittle compared to other metals.

crpntr133:
$$ and the fact that titanium is a bit brittle compared to other metals.

Interesting...
I haven't experienced this. I used to be involved with a company that manufactured orthodedic implants like plates and rods to be put into bodies. In those designs, the Ti was actually less brittle than the SS (and much more flexible).

In fact, if you have ever seen a Ti bicycle in heavy use, you can see the thing flexing like crazy...

jagfish:
Right...
Dollars due to what? The material or the manufacturing process? Are these obstacles that could be overcome with greater output?
Ti is a natural element, therefore it must be mined, rather than manufactured. Cost is in the mining and the fact it has a limited supply, plus the processes involved in the manufacture of items made from it.

Jagfish,

Do you currently find Stainless Steel unsatisfactory in applications such as bolt snaps and drings?

Aluminum is about 165 lbs /cuft

Steel and SS is about 495 lbs./cuft

Ti is about 1/2 the weight of Steel or ~ 245lbs /cuft

Ti can be alloyed to have a range of properties, springs, some ductility, high yeild strenght etc.

Ti is a bit more difficult to machine, and is much more difficult to weld.

My guess as to why you don't see bolt snaps and drings made of Ti is that it really is not required, and that the percentage of users willing to pay the additional cost is too small to justify production of such goods.

In other words not enough people with more money than sense...:D

Regards,

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
My guess as to why you don't see bolt snaps and drings made of Ti is that it really is not required, and that the percentage of users willing to pay the additional cost is too small to justify production of such goods.

In other words not enough people with more money than sense...:D

I guess it's all a matter of perception. Is SS required, when brass would suffice? Why do we have Ti knives, but not other tools? Also if a product is not really available (Ti double enders for example) who is to say what the demand would be, because consumption is naturally zero at present. :wink:

Anyway, thanks all for the input and musings...

I think the price difference between a Ti bolt snap and an SS bolt snap is much larger than the difference between an SS snap and a brass one.

Would you pay $15 for a bolt snap? $11 for a D-ring? Obviously these are just guesses, but the idea is that the prices on Ti gear would probably be at least twice that of equivalent SS gear.

Back
Top Bottom