Why not more titanium?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan:
Would you pay $15 for a bolt snap? $11 for a D-ring? Obviously these are just guesses, but the idea is that the prices on Ti gear would probably be at least twice that of equivalent SS gear.

Oh, I'm sure there's folks that'll fork the cash over. Diving as you know is not a sport for the cheap.

The techno-geeks would gladly pay double for titanium fastenings... I would even get one or two myself just to try them out. I'm sure lots of other folks would.

I'd surmise that the demand is there, just not the supply at present.

jonnythan:
Would you pay $15 for a bolt snap? $11 for a D-ring?
LOL! Actually, the local hardware store prices for bolt snaps is 10 to 13 dollars here, so probably a bit more than you pay. In light of that, 15 dollars would not seem so bad...

jagfish:
LOL! Actually, the local hardware store prices for bolt snaps is 10 to 13 dollars here, so probably a bit more than you pay. In light of that, 15 dollars would not seem so bad...
just imagine what they'd charge for a TI one there...

In my opinion anyone that would use Ti D-rings, bolt snaps, etc., would be the types who would use them just to show that they could afford them.

Based upon relative costs and functionality, there is nothing to be gained from the use of Ti.

The advantages of Ti come into play in the presence of heat. We don't find too much of that at depth.

I really don’t see a reason to replace existing metal components for the hardware on scuba gear. Its not like d rings and clips fall apart or break. They will probably last longer than the original BC. Titanium knifes are kinda cool but I think most people realize that they will probably lose their knife or expire from old age before the benefits of Titanium are realized. Ti regs are a big issue but they have the benefit of low weight which is advantages for the traveling diver, but at the cost of what kind of gas they can breath and dollar amount.

JUMBO

jagfish:
I guess it's all a matter of perception. Is SS required, when brass would suffice? .................

In saltwater, brass fittings are not acceptable. So SS is not an option, it's a requirement.

edit: But titanium gives no advantage over SS in most cases. The weight of 6 double enders in SS is not critical compared to the weight in Ti.

How are brass fitting’s not acceptable, is that DIR logic or real application?
I still use a brass clip from my Grandpa’s rig, its been in the water for some 50 years.

I may be wrong or a frivolous spender but after a half century I will break down and buy a new clip.

JUMBO

Nothing to do with DIR specifically. I find that the brass clips and double enders do not hold up to salt water. The corrosion is much worse than with my SS bolt snaps. So much so that I've replaced every piece of brass with SS-well, those that can be replaced anyway!

I prefer brass in salt water. Rinse it well and it will last. I don't buy stainless if brass is available.

Titanium is also a fire hazzard in high O2 concentrations. I really see no benefits of titanium over brass or stainless and very few of stainless over brass (I do prefer a steel knife).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom