Why not more titanium?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan:
How much less does a titanium reg weigh than a brass one?

Brass is about 530 lbs / cuft (varies a little depending on alloy)

SS is about 495 lbs / cuft

Ti is about 245 lbs / cuft.

In Theory if the regs had the same shape and volume the ti reg would be less than half the weight. In practice, because of the greater strenght of ti it is possible that ti reg might have less volume of metal, making itconsiderably more than 50% lighter.

On the other hand I've never strained to pick up my nice brass MK25.........

Tobin

That's assuming a regulator was made entirely of steel or titanium. A first stage by itself would be possibly half as light, but add in the plastic parts, the hose, etc.. and, at best, a Ti reg will be maybe a pound lighter? *Maybe* two?

jonnythan:
That's assuming a regulator was made entirely of steel or titanium. A first stage by itself would be possibly half as light, but add in the plastic parts, the hose, etc.. and, at best, a Ti reg will be maybe a pound lighter? *Maybe* two?

No argument there. If you are including the weight of the hoses etc. your correct, the weight differential is even more trivial.

I was assuming we were taking about the bare first stage, but in any case I can't see Ti as being worth the extra $$ for the small weight savings.

Regards,

Tobin

What's the weight difference between the scubapro M25/s600 and M25/s600t. Anyone have a shop that sells both? I know the price difference and never even considered the T version, but I wonder what the actual wseight difference is.

Babar

jonnythan:
How much less does a titanium reg weigh than a brass one?
Per the Atomics users manual the Titanium T1 is about 3/4 pound lighter.

1st and 2nd stage with hose, yoke.. T1 is 754g/1.66#, B1 is 1104g/2.43#.

the DIN T1 is 260g/0.6# less than DIN B1.

The T1 price was several hundred $$ more than what I paid for the B1.

I've lost 3 knives, one on a dive where I found a replacement. I've found about 20.

Titanium is generally used where having less weight is critical for applications where the strength of steel is needed. Another reason to use titanium is corrosion, but SS and Alum works almost as well at a fraction of the cost.

In diving we ADD weight to get negative, so what is the reason behind REDUCING weight by using titanium just to turn around and stick more lead in the BCD???

Titanium costs about $100 per lbs (99.95% pure powder). Titanium is at LEAST 10 times the cost of SS to use manufacture.

Titanium, in use, is NOT pure, it's Titanium alloy!

Titanium is MUCH harder to work when making knives, however it is non-conductive, and kills food bacteria. Both of these attributes have made it popular in knives along with the reduced weight.

In any event, IMO don't count on finding Titanium to be the next greatest thing in Dive products as it's not practical, or necessary. Scuba gear is expensive enough without adding $100+ to the cost of the BCD to use Titanium for things like D-Rings and buckels.

Ron

RonFrank:
In diving we ADD weight to get negative, so what is the reason behind REDUCING weight by using titanium just to turn around and stick more lead in the BCD???
I'm not saying I think it's worth it, but if one travels to dive, weight matters and many people would prefer to use weights available at the destination rather than hauling it along in whatever form.

Damselfish:
I'm not saying I think it's worth it, but if one travels to dive, weight matters and many people would prefer to use weights available at the destination rather than hauling it along in whatever form.

I guess the question becomes, if you reduce the weight of a few D-Rings, and the first stage by 45%, what have you saved? A couple lbs? Likely less?

If weight is the primary goal, then Alum should be used for components where SS is used today. Titanium is 60% HEAVIER than alum, but twice as strong. I don't know what you plan on hooking onto the BCD, but alum is PLENTY strong for any application I can think of in rec diving.

Ron

deadend:
Ti knives IMO are far superior to SS knives for saltwater use. To hold an edge the stainless alloy must have a certain amount of carbon in it's structure. The carbon is what causes corrosion to form on the knife relatively quickly if not properly rinsed and oiled. Ti does not corrode. I have purposely not rinsed my Wenoka ti knife to test this and it looks the same as it did the first time I used it. Why would brass be a problem? I have all sorts of cheap hardware store brass snaps as well as more expensive dive-shop variety snaps and I cannot tell a diff. in corrosion.

Titanium ALLOY as a material for Knife manufacture has a hardness of 50 Rc. Not great if we are discussing the main use of knives, having a very sharp edge.

The Seals have been using such knives for a while, but NOT becuase they are sharper, or even less corrosive, but rather because they are safer when working around magnetic-detonated mines. The 50 rc rating would be on a *HIGH* quality product, and all titanium alloy is not equal.

SS holds up just fine for recreational diving Salt water applications. The blade is easier to sharpen, and can be sharpend to a finer edge. A sharp edge may not be that important to the diver which is why Titanium has passed as an alternative for the diver.

Sure SS will show some signs of corrosion vs. Titanium, no argument there. Titanium is the king of non corrosive metal materials. So if it's important that the knife LOOKS pretty after many uses, then by all means, pay extra for Titanium. If you are looking for the best knife, then titanium is NOT the choice dispite all the HYPE.

And that is the bottom line, HYPE. Titanium is awesome for some applications. The amount of time a Dive Knife spends in the water does NOT justify the cost of Titanium IMO, and it is not a great material for making a knife unless one needs the properties of titanium as the Seals did.

Titanium PVD coatings are becomming more common in knife making, but that is a different subject.

Ron

Back
Top Bottom