Why not more titanium?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank:
And that is the bottom line, HYPE. Titanium is awesome for some applications. The amount of time a Dive Knife spends in the water does NOT justify the cost of Titanium IMO, and it is not a great material for making a knife unless one needs the properties of titanium as the Seals did.

Ron

My titanium knife was only 29$. How much was yours?

That's a great price on a knife. I got a better price, I found it on the bottom - of course the selection sucked.............

I don't believe sharpness in dive knives is particularly important anymore for most applications. All you need is a serrated edge. Heck, my workhorse remora not only doesn't have a point, but the non-serrated edge is blunt.

Other than spearfishers, what other uses are now common for the point on the blade? And for having sharp, non-serrate edges?

archman:
I don't believe sharpness in dive knives is particularly important anymore for most applications. All you need is a serrated edge. Heck, my workhorse remora not only doesn't have a point, but the non-serrated edge is blunt.

Other than spearfishers, what other uses are now common for the point on the blade? And for having sharp, non-serrate edges?

What other use could there be besides spearfishing? :wink:

LeisurePro has a few titanium knives at that price point. One is a folder and another is really kind of a frightening dagger.

RonFrank:
What kind of titanium knife do you have?

Ron
It's a Wenoka EZ-Lock Blackie Collins titanium. The sheath is great, the knife is the perfect size, and it don't rust! I got it to be a scary looking dagger thing to scare off any wearers of double tanks and jet fins. I think it even comes in a blunt point version for those technically challenged divers that routinely poke holes in their bc bladders and flesh. Man that thing will slice through the long hose like buttah! I've even cut a few spring straps with a single stroke?

"I spent $^&(*% on making my entire rig all titanium, I saved 4 pounds of weight, which meant I had to spend another $8 to purchase 4 more pounds of lead"

hmmm yeah I just don't see the weight savings of a few pounds as worth it, especially when even if you were overweight on the plane, its only an extra $25, and I carry my regs on with my carryon anyhow, so they never get weighed.

note: above quote is tongue and cheek, I wouldn't waste my money on titanium parts, now on my mountain bike, thats a different story.

Back
Top Bottom