Why not treat DCS yourself?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not so much,few of the DCS cases I've personally seen violated ascent rate or ceiling.

All of this talk is basically a moot point unless you are diving with a group of commercial divers or tech divers who haven't been in the water yet that day. The equipment, gas and safety divers needed for IWR is not something you see on a typical dive. If you miss a major deco obligation then you have more problems than just DCS.

MaxBT----IWR'd people on as much as my 4th day straight and several dives into the day so not so much either.I can do hours on a 30 foot dive even late in the day babysitting someone.You are absolutely right about having bigger issues if you blow any real deco.

GJC -- commercial spearing, multi day trips.02 and compressor onboard.We don't send in a safety diver for "milder" onset symptoms all the time.Personally saw a guy nearly paralyzed completely resolved and returned to diving the next day on 2 occasions, not my idea nor condoned by me.He is still doing 300 plus dives a year without any further issues.

MaxBT----IWR'd people on as much as my 4th day straight and several dives into the day so not so much either.I can do hours on a 30 foot dive even late in the day babysitting someone.You are absolutely right about having bigger issues if you blow any real deco.

GJC -- commercial spearing, multi day trips.02 and compressor onboard.We don't send in a safety diver for "milder" onset symptoms all the time.Personally saw a guy nearly paralyzed completely resolved and returned to diving the next day on 2 occasions, not my idea nor condoned by me.He is still doing 300 plus dives a year without any further issues.

He went diving the next day? WOW!

This makes me think of the old sponge divers before there were dive tables. They all got bent frequently but kept on diving until their joints just couldn't take it anymore.

If you do a lot of IWR, you may want to share some your experience with DAN or other research people. You know anyone that can write up your experiences for journals or dive magazines?

A
However, it is not usually recommended for divers carry around a backup O2 cylinder for this purpose
Apparently you have not taken an O2 provider course.

In the OPs defense... when I first got into tech diving I thought if I ever got bent I'd just swim around at 20'/6m for a while on O2 and that would resolve any symptoms. I really believed, against what I'd been told, it was that simple. I hadn't really accepted just how complex and not fully understood DCI and its treatment could be. I look at it very differently now.

Hello,

The review article David and I wrote on this subject has just been published. The DHM papers are usually embargoed for a year, but I got our department to pay the early release fee because there have been a lot of discussions about in water recompression IWR recently. It is a very topical subject and I have uploaded the paper to this message.

A principal problem with the literature on the subject to date has been a lack of synthesis of the available evidence of the efficacy of very early recompression (which can be achieved with IWR), and similarly, the evidence that a shallower shorter recompression is effective. In the paper we used David's access to difficult-to-find US Navy datasets to at least partly address both of these issues. I think you will find it interesting.

I am happy to enter into discussion of the ideas / conclusions articulated in the paper, but please read it first.

Simon M

Attachments

• Doolette and Mitchell_InWaterRecompression.pdf
    171.9 KB · Views: 152
Hello,

The review article David and I wrote on this subject has just been published. The DHM papers are usually embargoed for a year, but I got our department to pay the early release fee because there have been a lot of discussions about in water recompression IWR recently. It is a very topical subject and I have uploaded the paper to this message.

A principal problem with the literature on the subject to date has been a lack a synthesis of the available evidence of the efficacy of very early recompression (which can be achieved with IWR), and similarly, the evidence that a shallower shorter recompression is effective. In the paper we used David's access to difficult-to-find US Navy datasets to at least partly address both of these issues. I think you will find it interesting.

I am happy to enter into discussion of the ideas / conclusions articulated in the paper, but please read it first.

Simon M

Wow! Impressive work.

Thanks very much for sharing this early with us.

I know you mentioned recovering the data was not easy. Do you have any information about the typical dive profiles for the groups that you studied? Were the pearl divers typically shallow long dives or deep? Were the Navy divers deep deco dives? Or is that data not recoverable at this point?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom