Why Scuba Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi, I am very new to scuba diving I was wondering what you find so attractive about scuba diving? What goals do you set for yourself? How often do you attend scuba realated parties or events? Why do you enjoy scuba diving?
What kind of difficulties have you been faced with?

Nitrogen at elevated partial pressure is narcotic and addictive.:wink:

Being underwater and still able to breathe
being weightless
the underwater life
the wrecks, each with its own history
the camaraderie on a dive boat

lots more...

For me it's simple. I do it because I love to. Give me a chance to spend time with my son. We get to see many new and unusual things together. Once a month I attend my local dive club meetings, sometimes it's not very enjoyable but sometimes it is. When I'm there I get to meet like-minded people with similar interests as I. Did I mention I love it? It could be kind of like a video game for me. Each year I want to do more dives and have more bottom time. I want to see that dive count go higher and higher and higher. I've never attended a dive party but it sounds like a blast. There is this annual dive camp trip in North Florida at Ginnie Springs I would really like to do that. I missed it this year... I think it was held a couple of weekends ago. Search the forum for reference to it.

Attractive: shell collector, enjoy assisting OW classes.
Goals: continue above, maybe 2 more yrs. DMing.
Scuba parties/events: 2 "Pumpkin Dives", 2 "Treasure Hunts" (won my split fins!!!)
Why enjoy:see above.
Difficulties: Distance to "GOOD" local sites & LDS--ei., Canadian gas prices. Finding buddies here & N. Gulf of Mexico (winter). Getting on a charter in N. Gulf of Mex. in winter (not many go out).

I like wildlife, especially the unusual and predatory, and 'creepy crawlies' in general. On land, I like prowling around finding reptiles and amphibians. Scuba opens up a beautiful new world with a diverse array of exotic wildlife, swimming, the mystique of an alien environment and an experience that in some small way offers a form of personal flying. The scientific knowledge aspect of it engages the mind. Most people don't get to do it. Good rationale to go enjoy exotic vacation spots. A broad enough array of destinations to grow into for years and years.

Richard.

So much to like...
-Seeing things I've never seen
-being weightless
-challenging myself
-sharing cool photos and videos with friends and family
-gear (I'm a gear junkie and do several sports that are gear intensive....golf, scuba, skiing, backpacking)
-going fun places with fun people

Solitude....
Bubbles....
Being the person who knows whats down there compared to wondering whats down below.
A new adventure everytime.
The view is spectacular.
Physiologists cost more than $12.00 and you have to make the answers anyway.
I joined a local scuba club, being around people that knows what you're about to say is awesome.
Solitude, Serenity, and happiness in 1 tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom