Why so expensive to dive with Great Whites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I definitely plan to do South Africa someday. The main draw, for me, is the terrestrial animals but the sharks and (depending on time of year) sardine run are exciting experiences to augment the topside stuff. This time, it just didn't make sense with my daughter, my dad, and his SO (who has only had a single trip outside the US and that was to Europe).

Someday, though, someday...

I work for one of the companies that offers great white shark dives to the Farallons. I can answer why it costs so much, better than anyone. (cagediver.com) The biggest ongoing expense is the boat. The Farallons are 25 miles off the coast. It can take 325 gallons of fuel to get there and back. Multiple that by over $4 a gallon. We could have bought a new car for what one of our shark cages cost to build. Each of our hookah air systems cost upwards of $2000 and new parts are required every season. We've had to buy wetsuits, gloves, booties and hoods for customers to use. A single weight belt with 40 lbs of weight costs close to $200. There are staff costs and food costs and dock rental costs. Trust me. We aren't getting rich off shark trips. We're doing this because we love sharks and the Farallons and believe that people who see sharks will work to save them from extinction.

We sell South Africa shark dives too and yes, they are cheaper. That's because you go out in tiny boats to locations very close to shore. Because baiting is allowed in South Africa and not in the US, it's the preferred choice...but you have to have the time and money to get to South Africa.

And I thought it was because of the share the sharks got for "protection..." to ensure they didn't eat any of the customers!

I have been to South Africa to dive with Great Whites and unfortunetly we missed out. We saw sharks from the boat and when the cage was put in to the water, the sharks were scared off. As mentioned before, in South Africa, it is only a day trip to see the sharks, so it is quite cheap. Don't let the crime put you off. It is a beautiful country. We did a 3 week overland safari as well, so all was not lost.

I have also been to South Australia and dived with Whites there. It was one of the best trips I have ever done. Big sharks in clear water. It was rather expensive ($2000), though this was a 4 day trip on a liveaboard. The food and service was fantastic. I am led to believe that cheaper day trips are now available, though you have more chance of seeing sharks with an extended trip.

With the exchange rate the way it is at the moment (US $1.00=AU $0.65), it works out rather cheap for Americans to travel to Australia. This might be an option for you.

Good luck in your quest to dive with Great Whites. Whatever the cost, it is well worth the expense as it is an experience you will never forget.

I work for one of the companies that offers great white shark dives to the Farallons. I can answer why it costs so much, better than anyone. (cagediver.com) The biggest ongoing expense is the boat. The Farallons are 25 miles off the coast. It can take 325 gallons of fuel to get there and back. Multiple that by over $4 a gallon.

The cost of the boat is certainly significant, but doesn't explain why the trip costs of order $800. Here in Santa Barbara, a run to the Channel Islands is roughly the same distance and a day trip of scuba diving including air and meals is around $130. The 325 gallons number sound really fishy. Does your boat really only get 50miles/325gallon = 0.15 miles/gallon?

With the exchange rate the way it is at the moment (US $1.00=AU $0.65), it works out rather cheap for Americans to travel to Australia. This might be an option for you.

Doesn't the exchange rate you described make it more expensive for an American to travel to Australia?

Shark trip in Australia is say $100.00. Then the American dollar is only worth $0.65 in Australia then it would actually cost you $154 American money to go on the trip. Therefore not the cheaper option at this time.

I actually looked up the exchange rate and 1 USD = 1.47035 AUD / 1 AUD = 0.680110 USD. So I think you just typed wrong.

You are quite right. I did type it wrong. You do get what I mean though. Luckily I'm not an accountant.
Cheers

If you're crazy enough to dive with great whites you're probably crazy enough to pay big money to do it. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom