why some people dont agree that dir is really dir

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
California Diver:
no thats not it at all. im just saying the extremely strict philosophy should have some leaniancy for different conditions. if you dont agree i dont care. have fun diving.

I think this thread is as comical as it gets. I can't believe there are still people who have so much to say about training they have never taken.

Uh, I don't think they were talking about Steel 72's. Aren't some positive when near empty?

California Diver, have you taken the class or are you posting responces to threads / discussions you've seen on the 'net? If you haven't taken the class, keep in mind that it consists of:

The Book
The Workbook
One 10 Hour day of lecture
2 Days of Diving / Lecture

So it is hard to discuss the merits of any particular part without being able to see the big picture. It would be like discussing a whole book on one chapter in the middle. Make sense?

Mark

Did the original poster ever answer the question "What is your level of GUE training?"

Do yourself a favor, if you want a fight, post that same thing on Decostop. They will eat you alive.

Wetsuit in Steel Doubles? You kidding right?

CALI68:
Do yourself a favor, if you want a fight, post that same thing on Decostop. The will eat you alive.
I thought the exact same thing when I first read the original post :wink:

jonnythan:
I thought the exact same thing when I first read the original post :wink:

My first thought too.

CALI68:
Wetsuit in Steel Doubles? You kidding right?

On air to 150', no less.

I would tactfully suggest that CaliforniaDiver would benefit greatly from even a quick skim through the Doing it Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving textbook.

CD, this will answer most of the issues you're having. Far from being an advertisement for the most expensive gear, it will neatly summarize the why for each and every "standardized" equipment choice in DIR diving. As a matter of fact the very questions of diving deep, tropical (wetsuit) diving, and diving with doubles - three separate issues - are answered plainly and simply.

jonnythan:
Have you been at 150 feet, then completely emptied your bladder to see what would happen?

I was wearing a drysuit @ 150. I know what would happen ... it would be a wet suit, and a smelly one at that :eyebrow:

boomx5:
I think this thread is as comical as it gets. I can't believe there are still people who have so much to say about training they have never taken.

Exactaly!

Green_Manelishi:
[Originally Posted by jonnythan
Have you been at 150 feet, then completely emptied your bladder to see what would happen?]

I was wearing a drysuit @ 150. I know what would happen ... it would be a wet suit, and a smelly one at that :eyebrow:
Not THAT bladder.

jonnythan:
What is DIR for reef dives in the Caribbean is not the same as penetrating the Brittanic.

There's really a lot more equipment variation than is immediately evident when you start to peel the onion. For example, the 7ft hose is not a necessity in OW according to G3.

Plus, there may even be a sidemount configuration, as per this URL, which is supposedly G3 from Quest:

http://www.innerrealm.co.nz/dir_details.asp?pk=45

Objective risk management is never a bad thing, for its the objectivity that prevents taking things to rediculous extremes.

-hh

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom