why some people dont agree that dir is really dir

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
California Diver:
and yes dir does just fine on cold wrecks , dir is great but sometimes not completely compatible with different climates , different conditions and what not.

So far, you haven't really hit on anything where DIR is actively not going to be optimal, though.

PSD divers in contaminated waters requiring full facemasks or hardhats, or commercial divers obviously are going to deviate from the DIR config. Lobster divers who need their wrists free and use consoles will deviate. There are probably many others.

If you understand the reasons *behind* the guideline about wetsuits and doubles, and you can demonstrate via argument and demonstration that you're in line with the spirit if not the letter of the law, I don't see why it would be a big deal. Have you asked a GUE instructor about their opinion of your rig?

And just don't think that because you can dive safely with your rig now, that DIR is "wrong" and that you'll be just as safe switching to a 7mm farmer john and twin LP120s where you might have to rethink things. It isn't about some rule about wetsuits and doubles, it isn't about weither or not DIR is right or wrong, its avoiding getting yourself glued to the bottom and drowning -- everything else is secondary.

and you have to also thing that everything in the gue curriculum thats dir was not invented by them. people have been doing that stuff for years.

Which is frequently mentioned trollbait. I'm pretty certain I recall from my DIRF class that it was mentioned that most of it wasn't invented by GUE, just packaged by them. It gets frequently mentioned here, too.

lamont:
I'm pretty certain I recall from my DIRF class that it was mentioned that most of it wasn't invented by GUE, just packaged by them.

Yes, it was brought up repeatedly in our class ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Yes, it was brought up repeatedly in our class ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Funny, mine too.

I wonder if it was brought up in California Diver's class.

steel 72s with a wetsuit works just fine for me. obviously you guys have nothing to say because noone has tried steel 72s in a wetsuit around here. so please you cant bash what you know nothing about.

i never said dir was wrong. dir is right, but other things are right as well.

Hey pssst, California Diver...
I'm not DIR and I won't be so don't take this as coming from a DIR'er...

...but it's time to leave this party.

California Diver:
steel 72s with a wetsuit works just fine for me. obviously you guys have nothing to say because noone has tried steel 72s in a wetsuit around here. so please you cant bash what you know nothing about.

Interesting statement. You may want to re-read the words you posted.

For the record, I was diving doubled steel 72's a full decade before you were born.

ya i think its time to throw in the towel on this one, theres just no talking people out of their ways. happy diving ladies

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom