Why SPGs got dirt inside ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emoreira

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've seen lots of SPGs that got dirt inside, full functional, no water inside, but making them useless as they cannot be read.
SPGs are bourdon type manometer, so the air that comes from the tank goes to a closed bended tube inside. The interior of the SPG is also sealed to the environment.
So, where does the dirt comes ?

Attachments

• IMG_6591.JPG
    IMG_6591.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_8863.JPG
    IMG_8863.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 74
Check the inside of your tanks... May be bad filters on the compressor system.

Check the inside of your tanks... May be bad filters on the compressor system.
No, that would mean that the bourdon tube is leaking, and the SPG should also be leaking, which I've not seen. Besides tha SPG is used in many tanks filled by different compressor in different operators.

In the two gauge picture, I don't think it's dirt. Looks more like the lens is getting hazy. Similar to how car headlights get foggy.

The other one could be dirt or other contaminants. I'm sure these are not put together in a cleanroom, so this could happen. The first picture looks fairly old, so I'm assuming lots of movement over the years, which can grind down small particles that eventually attach to the most attractive surface.

The first definitely looks like water infiltration. The second could be a film of some kind of hazing of the plastic.

Picture 1 is a spg with a plastic lens and an o-ring seal, and the case is simply crimped around the lens to hold things in place, With use and expansion/contraction its not hard to see how water/corrosion could sneak in.

Picture 1 is a spg with a plastic lens and an o-ring seal, and the case is simply crimped around the lens to hold things in place, With use and expansion/contraction its not hard to see how water/corrosion could sneak in.
not only that but the oring sealing surface is dented in multiple places.
This is corrosion from water/moisture getting under the lens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom