Why the big Diff in wing $$$

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never underestimate the value of a brand... I refuse to buy premium brand products at premium brand prices and I'm still alive. Take from that what you will.
I agree with what I think is the point you are making. I am not a subscriber to the 'You're gonna die if you don't use X brand.' philosophy. But, I admit to a fondness for Halcyon, Apeks, etc. I have the good fortune of being able to buy (new) gear at substantially less than premium prices, so it is a bit easier for me to agree, I guess.

Wow... compared to those photos, KFC $5FillUps and The One and Only Big Mac(tm) pix look like food.
Strange, I could swear the argument that a wing is a wing was made here... :)

Do you travel a lot? If you do, then you probably don't want to get a wing that requires the use of an STA since it is extra weight and bulk to carry. I.e. don't buy Halcyon, DRiS Trianta, etc.

That's not true, actually. I have a small aluminum Halcyon bp and it weighs 1.8 lbs. The standard aluminum Halcyon bp weighs 2 lbs/.9 K. The weight of the STA is negligible and it just stays attached and is low profile, so not bulky.

I wanted to use my Halcyon Eclipse for both local cold water dives as well as for traveling - that's why I chose aluminum rather than the 5 lb small steel or 6 lb standard steel Halcyon bp. If you want more weight, you just insert the 6 lb weight into the STA for local cold water dives. I ended up using steel tanks, so I never even put the weight in the STA.

If someone wants to use the same bp for local and traveling, I'd be looking at no heavier than aluminum, and not be concerned about the small number of grams of the STA.

Except maybe with the Hog 23, also for $150... :D I love my Hog 23 wing. The only time I would need more lift is if the water is cold. In which case, I'm diving dry and using doubles
Great for you but the OP lives in SoCal where the water is temperate and as far as we know doesn't dive doubles[/QUOTE]

@Ayisha the STA still weighs 2lbs and is extra gear to deal with and pack. I love STA's for boat diving, but for flying, I'd rather avoid them
We have 3 DSS single tank wings and one H in the family. While there is absolutely nothing wrong with the H quality wise, that bolt-on STA looks like a kludge compared to the integrated DSS solution.

Reading this thread it is pretty safe to say all the wings being discussed are quality. I think we all have our preferred wing for various reasons. Specific features and small differences can add up. However, what is important to me might be totally a non issue for another.

...Why the big difference in wing prices?......
I'm a commercial diver and have 1200 dives on one the wings you have listed and it still works perfectly even though I treat it like crap. I just want to get back alive each dive and not have to worry about that piece of gear during the dive.

In my opinion: is the wing single layer or double layer(outer shell and a bladder), the nylon grade. 1000 / 400 / or ?? and made in USA or China / Taiwan

Back
Top Bottom