Why the choice of oral inflate SMBs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WhiteSands

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
I'd like to understand the reasoning for using oral inflate opposed to regulator inflate SMBs for DIR diving. Please advise, thanks.

You don't need to use an oral/drysuit inflate dsmb if you don't want to. If you'd rather use an open ended/self-sealing, go for it. I have both and use both. My halcyon drysuit inflate is a bit easier to put up (in general) from depth, but I have issues getting it full from shallower depths, and my buddy open ended is easier for me to fill from 15m and shallower. There is no mandate to use a specific type or brand (although I do believe crack bottle and co2 inflate are frowned upon)

Hi,
I'd like to understand the reasoning for using oral inflate opposed to regulator inflate SMBs for DIR diving. Please advise, thanks.

If you mean the little 1.1m Halcyon type, it's easier to maintain your buoyancy since you're just transferring air from one space (lungs) to another (SMB). OTOH they may not be visible enough for open water diving, if that's factor (e.g. ability fo boat crew to spot them in waves)

I think the OP may be asking why even with the open ended ones, it's the exhaled gas which is used and not a purged reg... no?

Well "oral inflate" means a closed-circuit SMB which can't be inflated using a reg with either method.

If the question is Why not use a purged reg? then the answer is that's a waste of gas and it doesn't work well with a DIR setup (secondary reg bungied under chin).

I think the OP may be asking why even with the open ended ones, it's the exhaled gas which is used and not a purged reg... no?

Yes that's what I was asking. Why can't purged reg be used to inflate instead. Someone asked me this and I said I don't know.

---------- Post added March 31st, 2014 at 06:08 PM ----------

Well "oral inflate" means a closed-circuit SMB which can't be inflated using a reg with either method.

If the question is Why not use a purged reg? then the answer is that's a waste of gas and it doesn't work well with a DIR setup (secondary reg bungied under chin).

Yes that makes sense.

Hmmmm ... some of the info here doesn't agree with my experiences. I always use a bungeed backup, whether diving tech, rec, or sidemount. And how I fill my SMB depends on which one I'm using. For most dives, I'll use the small, 1-meter bag, in which case, oral inflate is easy and works well ... and as already pointed out, makes buoyancy control simple because you're not changing it as you inflate the bag. For some dives I'll want the bigger bag, either because I'm in more open area, or the wave height might make the smaller bag harder for the boat to see, or some other reason that makes me decide to deploy a bigger bag. My larger bag is about 2 meters in height, much wider than the small one, and is semi-closed. In that case, I use my primary reg to inflate it ... having switched to the backup before beginning the operation. I do it that way because the bag has about 40 lbs of lift, and I want to keep it well away from my body, reducing the potential for the line to snag something that would then drag me to the surface. Sometimes I'll be deploying this bag from pretty deep ... 130 feet or so ... on a deco schedule ... so I really don't want to run that risk.

I think there's way less chance of snag hazard while holding the reel/spool and line out at arm's length and using the primary reg to inflate it than there is by holding it in close enough to use your breath to inflate it.

And if you're worried about "wasting gas" to fill your bag, I'd posit that maybe you're cutting your gas reserves a bit too thin ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm not at all sure that it's forbidden to use a purged reg to fill an open-ended bag, or an inflator hose to fill a bag which has the appropriate fitting. Oral inflate is taught in the Fundamentals class because, with the exception of open-ended bags without any inflation valve at all, it's a technique which is applicable to all bags, whereas purged regs only work with open-ended ones, and inflator hoses only with bags that have the appropriate attachment. Given that Halcyon bags are sold with inlet valves that are compatible with LP inflator hoses, I suspect it's an acceptable method :). Although I don't use it, because oral inflate is so easy with the small bags I generally use.

I will ping a couple of GUE instructors and see if there is any party line on this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom