Why These Reels?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a top handle Manta Jr. once. While it had a robust good plastic spool part (polyethylene, the white stuff like milk jugs) and a stout aluminum frame - it was still horrible. The locking catch was pathetic and took too much effort to hold open. And it didn't hold tight when you wanted it to. And the basic frame design is a recipe for snarls.

The sidewinding reel is much better. I happen to have a Halcyon and I like the heft of the frame (holds the line tension better at a primary tieoff in the cave too). The Salvo is slightly better for a saltwater exposure, there can be dissimilar metal corrosion on the Halcyon if you don't soak it well.

The Salvo is slightly better for a saltwater exposure, there can be dissimilar metal corrosion on the Halcyon if you don't soak it well.

Similar?

/nitpick

BZZZT, wrong. He meant dissimiliar. Get a metallurgist type to explain it to you. Look at the neck of an al tank when you take the valve off or the area around the bands. That is dissimiliar corrosion.

Thanks

Didn't know I could be wrong by asking a question

My appologies if I misread but you are the one that said it was a nitpick. Just clarifying it was accurate an accurate statement by rjack.

Last edited:
Similar?

/nitpick

Basically 2 different metals in the "galvanic series"
Galvanic series
when immersed in an electrolyte (sea water) set up a tiny battery. So if you don't get the salt out from around the SS set screw on the Halcyon reels it will corrode together with the aluminum frame.

Not a big problem for freshwater cave diving since fresh water is a very weak electrolyte. You need to soak the reel well after using it saltwater, half hour in the bucket is adequate in my experience.

The Salvo uses a SS screw in a delrin frame and there's little opportunity for it to get sticky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom