Why use a watch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have always been biased toward the Big Watch sports - Aviation and Diving and I tend to only wear watches that advertise I am one or the other. To be honest the elapsed time bezel on my Seiko a dive watch has about as much practical use anymore as the E6B circular slide rule does on my Seiko aviator. But Seiko's keep great time and they run forever.

That said they cost too much so when I used to do commercial work, I wore a Timex Ironman or a Casio G-Shock - they were very durable and water proof to any sane depth and they were cheap so if you crunched one, you were only out $49.95.

I use a dive computer like most people nowadays. However I still wear a watch to augment the dive computer. Let's assume that something is wrong with my dive computer and it doesn't compute the remaining time any more or maybe the pressure sensor is kaput and it doesn't read the correct pressures any more. How do I know if my dive computer is correct? That's where the watch comes in.

I dive with my own tanks and I know exactly how long these tanks last underwater FOR ME on a typical fun dive that doesn't go much deeper than 80-ft. For deep dives, I consult the dive table and do air calculation based on my Surface Air Consumption rate (SAC) and know how long I should be able to remain at such depth.

When I go down, I set the bezel to start the timing process. It's not as accurate as the dive computer but close enough. So, on a typical dive my tank lasts me around 40-minutes plus air for 3-minutes safety stop and get to the surface with about 400-500psi left in the tank for contingency. Comes 30-minutes (eyeballing the bezel) and if my tank were saying 2000+PSI, then I'd know something is wrong. Or comes 15-minutes and my tank were to say 1000PSI, then I'd know something is wrong. It's time to terminate the dive and surface.

When I do the deep dives, I'd consult the dive tables and know what's my maximum bottom times and I use the bezel to augment the computer too. If the computer were to conk out and stop saying anything altogether, or maybe the timer conk out, I'd still know how long I've been underwater and can surface with plenty of air.

Oh yes, and I use my dive watch to impress the hot babes at the bars.:D Hey, whatever it takes to score with the honeys.:eyebrow:

I got in the habit of strapping my Citizen 300-meter Eco-drive around the console, between my computer and SPG. Fits nice and tight in a groove, trying to pull it off makes it fit tighter. A dive instructor did this and I always thought it was a neat idea. Probably old-fashioned, but it does several things.
With a twirl of the bezel, I have a dive timer and clock that requires no button presses to read either feature, and it's illuminated.
When I'm scribbling in the logbook, I've got a plain clock with the date on it.
Since I don't wear watches in drysuit, it gives the watch somewhere to live while diving (I tend to misplace things)
If the computer completely freaks out, the watch knows how long I was down for, and I can round up what my max depth was from my buddies computer data. Since I at least wrote down the previous dive numbers, SI's, bottom times and max depths in my log, I can recreate the day in dive tables, get a pressure group and maybe continue diving.

(I've never used the last example and probably never will. And if I upgrade the computer, then I'll have a backup computer, making the process double irrelevant. But until I can afford an AI it seemed like a good habit to start and who knows, there might be a day where having that info will be the difference between going on another reef dive or having no idea what my RNT is and sitting in the boat)

I take my watch off for diving, even though it's waterproof at depth, because I can't think of a use for it. I just use two dive computers. When you upgrade your computer you can use your old one as a backup, and it's much more useful than a watch.

Adam

There is just something about a device that with a quick glance you can see it is 3:05 and that you have been down for 23 minutes. No menus, no buttons, no flip down screens, no nonsense. Some will always be attracted to that which is timeless and simple. Computer BS comes and goes, a quality mechanical watch is forever and does not look nearly as stupid as wearing a dive computer to work. On an instrument approach I can spin the bezel to use the watch as a timer to cross check and I can see it at a quick glance without digging in my pocket for a cell phone or pushing buttons, don't think I can do that with a dive computer either. No, I think I will keep wearing a real watch, one with gears and springs and a sweep hand that moves as smooth as silk. N

Get an aqualand from citizen, it will solve your question, then back it up with a good easy to read/use dive computer. Have FUN!

I'm using the same method....Citizen Aqualand on my wrist and then a Suunto Gekko integrated in the console as primary....and that's all.

Citizen on my wrist is handy because is small and I can check any time with no effort surface interval for example without the need to check the console...because I don't carry the console with me around during surface interval...

I take my watch off for diving, even though it's waterproof at depth, because I can't think of a use for it. I just use two dive computers.
Adam

I met a chick last year who dives with two AI dive comps at the same time: UWATEC Galileo Sol and Suunto D9.

There is just something about a device that with a quick glance you can see it is 3:05 and that you have been down for 23 minutes. No menus, no buttons, no flip down screens, no nonsense. Some will always be attracted to that which is timeless and simple. Computer BS comes and goes, a quality mechanical watch is forever and does not look nearly as stupid as wearing a dive computer to work. On an instrument approach I can spin the bezel to use the watch as a timer to cross check and I can see it at a quick glance without digging in my pocket for a cell phone or pushing buttons, don't think I can do that with a dive computer either. No, I think I will keep wearing a real watch, one with gears and springs and a sweep hand that moves as smooth as silk. N

A well built mechanical dive watch will probably be the last thing to break in your inventory. Not to mention that it doesn't have a battery that dies in the most inopportuned moment, or solar cells/capacitors that also die in the most inopportuned moment.

Oh Man where to begin on why a watch is a good idea for diving.
First off, I need to come clean and say that I am a dive watch collector.
I just love REAL DIVE WATCHES. So, you can stop reading here if you think I have a personal fixation on watches, because I do.
What you ask is a real dive watch according to me?
I say it is anything YOU want to dive with that will not flood. I just like bezels and 200 meter or greater depth ratings, and digital features.
The advantages of a dive watch are pretty basic even in this day and age of $150 Nitrox Computers that keep time also.
You can tell what time it is. Some folks will say, "ummm....I dive so that I can forget about time".
Good point.
Some folks also need to dive within strict time parameters.
A backup timepiece is a life or death affair for some folks in the diving world.
If your 'puter(s) die at 300' while you are going to have to do various stops to gas off, you will need one. And I think that you are crazy, but I digress.
Techies, beach divers, family up on the boat above getting bored without you divers, I have something to do in a little while divers, blah blah blah all wear watches.
I dive with a St. Moritz Format 2 watch.
I own six of them......because they do not make them anymore.
It is analog and digital with some neato features like a stopwatch, alarm, timer with past time count up.
I think that this is a yachting timer but I am really not sure.
I used to use a G-Shock. I still have it with its dead battery in it after 5 years of use.
I personally will only wear a watch with a time bezel or a sapphire crystal because I am a watch collecting snob.
Other than that, if you are thinking of using a watch for actually diving, go inexpensive but not cheap. Thin is good as it will not impede the sliding on of a wetsuit or slate, or other wrist/forearm worn thingie.

Just my 2 cents.

Chug

A well built mechanical dive watch will probably be the last thing to break in your inventory. Not to mention that it doesn't have a battery that dies in the most inopportuned moment, or solar cells/capacitors that also die in the most inopportuned moment.

I'm all for watches mechanical or otherwise, a proper 'solar cell/capacitor' timepiece that lives up to the ISO standards for a dive watch will include a low battery indicator.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom