Why would Emperor Divers shun BDE route in Dec/Jan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Parlem

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi!

A few months ago I was browsing the scheduled liveaboard trips on Emperor Divers' website and noticed that all they seem to offer in December and January is either the wreck itinerary (departing from Hurghada) or South & St. John's (from Marsa Alam). In other words, there are no scheduled trips to BDE with Emperor in December and January. I thought this was slightly odd.

I asked why on their site's online chat and they got back to me saying that the best diving that time of year was to be found on the advertised routes, based on their experience, etc, etc.

Now, I realise winter is low season, we're still in the middle of a pandemic and so on. However, several other operators offer BDE trips all winter and I find it peculiar that Emperor won't. In fact, their Red Sea liveaboard fleet appears to be down to two boats (Echo and Superior) over the winter months.

Would anyone on here be able to confirm that this is standard procedure with Emperor? Would you care to speculate?

I can’t give you a “why” any more detailed than the speculation you already included: it’s the slow period, and the water is cold. When I can say is that the situation was exactly the same in 2018, when I booked a charter with them. So it’s not Covid related.

I also believe that they tend to take their boats out of the water for a period of time to refurbish them. I’m not sure all the boats come out of the water every year, but I believe at least one of them gets a significant overhaul every year during the winter.

That’s pretty typical, from what I can tell of the marketplace. Boats aren’t exactly maintenance-free, and a live aboard schedule doesn’t exactly allow for a lot of repairs during the season.

Just curious, why is this important to you? I’m guessing you want to take a live aboard during their downtime? :)

This is the middle of the Egyptian winter and it may be too windy to visit these site that are so far out to sea. January and February around the Nile can be very cool. We used to go with Blue O 2 and I remember that all the trips were nearer the shore. But just because a boat is not listed does not mean that it is out of the water, it may be just chartered to a group.

Whatever the reason, it's probably not that winter weather makes Dec/Jan a poor time to do the BDE route. Several boats were there on those sites at that time of year when I went a few years ago (not with Emperor). Some people who are bothered by extreme heat might even prefer winter.

Thank you all for chipping in.

TMassey: yes, my family and I are considering a trip over Xmas/New Year and Emperor's liveaboards have a good reputation (value for money, professionalism). We typically dive in the Red Sea at the end of December and beginning of January as that's when our teenage/college-age children get an extended holiday. The water is around 23C, which is beautiful compared to the temperature we had when we went diving here Catalonia last Thursday (13C). We had a liveaboard trip + land-based extension in 2019-20 and loved the experience. We'd very much like to go back once we've had our jab (who knows when that'll happen, though). So for now I'm just window shopping ...

Tippytoes & Lorenzoid: Yes, I appreciate BDE requires long, open-sea sailing and you are much more exposed to unfavourable weather conditions.

I've done BDE several times during Dec/Jan. Worst we ever had wetherwise was at Abu Nuhas one year when we could not anchor there. Yes, the sailing can be rough at times, but I have had worse around easter :). If you can spare 2 weeks, check if there are any 14 day cruises which cover the whole from the North down to St. Johns.

I've done BDE several times during Dec/Jan. Worst we ever had wetherwise was at Abu Nuhas one year when we could not anchor there. Yes, the sailing can be rough at times, but I have had worse around easter :). If you can spare 2 weeks, check if there are any 14 day cruises which cover the whole from the North down to St. Johns.

Well, I'd love to, but we're a family of 6, including 3 non-divers and 6-7 nights is pushing it already ...

Have you gone to Red Sea (North/BDE/South) in October? How was that for sea and under water current conditions?
Cheers

Have you gone to Red Sea (North/BDE/South) in October? How was that for sea and under water current conditions?
Cheers
Yes, last time in 2019. Seas were calm for sailing and we did not have any strong currents. Saw Longis and threshers :).

Cheers

It's a nice time to visit. October/November is Longimanus mating season, they gather near the off shore reefs in the Egyptian Red Sea. It's not unusual to see 3-5 sharks in one dive, circling around you. Hammerheads less common by then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom