Why you gotta love Canada...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001:
To be perfectly honest I have no idea how any politicians got on the list. It seems to me that Canada has done well despite them.
I'm cynical... but this is just a BIT too cynical even for me. We have had some good politicians... (just not in the last 30 or so years!!)

I have three I'd like to submit..

1) Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas. Really where would Canada be today without Strange Brew. Canadians get to laugh at ourselves and the rest of the world is left to question "is Canada really like that".

2) Ron Hawkins. Never really made it huge outside of Canada, but I feel The Lowest Of The Low was one of Canada's hidden gems.

3) Paul Henderson. Beating the Russians was probably one of the things every Canadian remembers. Even if he wasn't the best player that goal has been replayed in every Canadians head over and over.

Thats my three cents.

Diver0001:
I've been away for too long. I never did watch much TV and I haven't seen a Canadian TV program for over 10 years.

R..
Then you should definitely check out The Trailer Park Boys.

PatH:
We have had some good politicians

Jean Chretien............love him or hate him.......he was endlessly amusing!

(unless, of course, you were on the receiving end of a "Shawinigan handshake")

jbm

jbm:
Jean Chretien............love him or hate him.......he was endlessly amusing!

(unless, of course, you were on the receiving end of a "Shawinigan handshake")

jbm

Actually, things like the "Shawinigan handshake" and the "Trudeau salute" are rare but (for me) comforting moments when I can really connect to what makes politicians just like the rest of us. In fact I think we need more of these moments. GW Bush, politics aside, is like that to me too. He's probably a little dyslexic and I see him looking insecure and unsure of what to say sometimes and when he does talk it can come out garbled...... What could possibly be more real that that? Surely we can all connect to that. We've all been there in our own way. I think politicians sometimes misjudge what people can overlook.

I'm actually well acquainted with a Canadian MP (Gary Lunn) he's the brother-in-law of one of my best friends and an ex-colleague from the early 90's. Whenever I talk to him I can't escape thinking that MP's should say what they think more often because I think "normal" people could really relate to much of it. Unfortunately, some of those things would be seen as career ending bloopers in the real world......I guess that goes to show you how far I'd make it in politics.... but it also goes to show you how big the gap is between the average citizen and their leaders.

R..

k9lwt:
It would make sense to me to have the Unknown Soldier at #1.

Amen to that Bruddah. Why was not one of our 95 winners of the VC nominated? We were a nation forged in fire, yet we forget our heros who gave much more than just their life for this nation. Then you want to say that because some guy was a good hockey player, he was the best Canadian ever.

To show a true candian see Thomas Holmes VC. Youngest Candian winner of the VC. He charged not one, but three machinegun nest in WW1 and destroyed them, saving hundreds of men. When he returned after the war he was asked why he did it? In the best way to sum up how Canadians feel and act, he said "I thought that was what every one was supposed to do."

People over look and forget that there are much better unknowen people in Candian history than our beloved sport stars. What have they truley contributed other than make you waste your time and money watching a sports game???

Diver0001:
......I think politicians sometimes misjudge what people can overlook......
R..

Not really bud. In fact they BANK on the fact, that the voting public is endlessly stupid and short minded.....and it actually works very well for them evidently.

Anyone EVER figure out where 3 Billion in HRDC money went???

That was just one of several oh so Liberal moments from the recent past.

Any heads really roll for that one?

I wonder what would happen in the real world if someone f****d up like that?

Wake me when we have someone even remotely trustworthy. I feel a long nap coming on.

2.) Gun registry

3.) Sponsorship scandal

4.) subsidize NHL teams (They tried too)

4a.) subsidized Bombardier

5.) Kyoto (kyoto-ugly)

6.) Technology Partnerships Canada (Read: Corporate Welfare)

7.) Indian Affairs

8.) Helipcopter deal

9.) Submarine deal

But heck, I'm just thinking out loud........

What ya can't do with a University Education EH?

Shameful.

Hey batman:

I always thought it would be just to pay the politicians on the same pay scale as the military.

No tax-free allowances, and knock that golden spoon called their pensions, out of their mouths, and down to a level that is equal to the military as well.

I think year one for an enlisted man is about $1200.00/mo. gross to start. If they truly want to "Serve" the country, they'll have to make it work on that.

This might be too much for the polly's, but they can bunk up, and save on heating bills.

Regards

Diver0001:
I can't escape thinking that MP's should say what they think more often because I think "normal" people could really relate to much of it.
Unfortunately Canadian politics is more about "not" offending than being for anything. If we want politicians to be open and honest we have to expect their views to be different than ours and forgiving of their gaffs. Not likely.

Outlaw the speech writers, the master's of "non-offense" position papers.

Scuba_Steve:
I always thought it would be just to pay the politicians on the same pay scale as the military.
You're not going to get much of a politician for that kind of pay... at least the military has job security.

Back
Top Bottom