Why YOU should take DIR-F (Fundies)...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter Guy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
or perhaps, why you need not, or should not, take the class:

A very personal explanation.​

Background:

I started diving (again) a little over 2 years ago -- getting first a PADI OW cert and then immediately a PADI AOW cert. At that point, all I wanted to do was to "go down and look at the pretty fishies" in my local waters (Puget Sound) and in the tropics (actually more in the tropics than locally!). Possibly because I'd had a very solid background from my prior SCUBA training, I found the PADI training sufficient to make me a safe (enough) diver -- safe to myself, safe to my buddy and safe (in general) to the environment in which I dove. (I didn't bang into the bottom, I didn't kick up a whole lot of silt, I could stay off the bottom when I wanted to.)

I was happy with my overall level of skill.

My wife (bless her) was NOT happy with her level of skill (and, I might add, for good reason). So she went looking for something more, found a mentor (NWGratefulDiver) and started drinking the Kool-Aid (which I found amusing and a bit, a lot, over the top). She took Fundies, practiced her basic skills an incredible amount and allowed me to learn some of what she had learned (frog kick for example and S-drill). I was not at all convinced I needed (and certainly didn't want) to take the class and go through all she had. However I was intrigued enough to agree to take Breakthrough Diving's "Essentials of DIR" class -- an experience I found to be somewhat enlightening (and one I'd recommend to any person who wants to improve their basic diving skills).

Then I took Fundies:

After diving "my way" for a 18 months (and being exposed to the contagious DIR disease courtesy of my wife and friends), I finally agreed to take Fundies last January (class in April). I still didn't have a really great idea WHY I should take the class, but I just gave in to the outside pressure (Thanks Doug). I found the class to be interesting, and frustrating -- and I've written about both on prior threads. Suffice it to say, the class itself is too compressed and too much emphasis on evaluation of the skills rather than the teaching of the skills (or at least mine was -- I've heard of others that I think are "doing it right" by splitting up the teaching and evaluation more). I'm not sure I "learned" anything in the class (except the backkick which, in fact, I ended up "learning" on my own) that I hadn't been exposed to (or taught) before.

Six months later I have still not passed the class (eval coming up in a few days) but I have practiced the "skills" much more than I would have done had I not had a specific goal of "passing" a class.

So why did I take it? Well, I finally had a REAL reason -- you see, I had taken a few guided tours in a couple of Cenotes -- and I wanted to go "beyond the sign." Even though I had signed up for the class before I found the magic of the caves, It's quite possible I wouldn't have finished it but for the magic.

I just returned from Mexico after taking 4 days of Cavern/Intro to Cave training (TDI). I'm pleased to report that the training was made much easier because of the skills that had already been learned through the Fundies training. My teacher was kind enough to say that my (our -- wife and me) skill level was much better than he expected (and he appeared to be incredulous when I told him I hadn't passed Fundies yet, in part because of trim issues). Having the Fundies foundation allowed us to concentrate on the Cave specific issues which made the class much easier. (We had a 3rd team member in Cavern who had not had any of this training and he had a hard time -- don't know if he got his Cavern cert -- wouldn't be surprised if he didn't (yet).)

To go back to the question raised in the title:

Why should YOU take Fundies? I think one should take it when they have a solid reason to take it -- when one needs the (not so basic) skills that are taught in the class as the foundation for whatever they are about to do. Or to put it another way, when you are going to dive "task loaded" and therefore need to have the "fundamental skills" well learned. What type of "task loading?" Well, when you are going to do complex navigation, run a scooter, do decompression, go into an overhead environment, take pictures (yes! even when just taking pictures of the pretty fishies) -- any time you need to use your brain for something other than the "where am I in the water column, where is my buddy, do I have enough gas to make it to the surface" type of thinking.

I don't believe one should take the class if what they want to do is to dive and "look at the pretty fishies." While I know many disagree with me, I think the basic "PADI type" OW/AOW training (along with some practicing of the skills taught!!) is sufficient for almost everyone who does the typical recreational dive. Yes, you won't know some stuff that a "good diver" should know (gas management being a big one), but you'll be a safe diver and have fun while you're doing it.

But if you have decided you want to do more than look at the pretty fishies, think seriously about taking DIR-F -- you'll be amazed at how much better a diver you'll become.

Why should YOU take Fundies?

I think that anybody that is interesting in Tech diving (cave and/or deco) should take DIR-f. It sets a base line level of skill that I think should be required for technical diving.

The diver can accept or reject the other components of DIR as they see fit, but the skills will be with them forever. (Mind you in DIR-f, its just an intro to DIR and doesn't cover many of the DIR procedures. They would be found mainly in Cave 1 and Tech 1)

As far as recreational divers go. It wouldn't hurt to take it, but then again, it may be a whole bunch of overkill. If you had a good instruction to begin with, DIR-f would probably not have a big impact on a diver. But given the track record of DIR-f experiences tells me that there few good scuba classes out there.

or perhaps, why you need not, or should not, take the class:

A very personal explanation.​

Background:

I started diving (again) a little over 2 years ago -- getting first a PADI OW cert and then immediately a PADI AOW cert. At that point, all I wanted to do was to "go down and look at the pretty fishies" in my local waters (Puget Sound) and in the tropics (actually more in the tropics than locally!). Possibly because I'd had a very solid background from my prior SCUBA training, I found the PADI training sufficient to make me a safe (enough) diver -- safe to myself, safe to my buddy and safe (in general) to the environment in which I dove. (I didn't bang into the bottom, I didn't kick up a whole lot of silt, I could stay off the bottom when I wanted to.)

I was happy with my overall level of skill.

My wife (bless her) was NOT happy with her level of skill (and, I might add, for good reason). So she went looking for something more, found a mentor (NWGratefulDiver) and started drinking the Kool-Aid (which I found amusing and a bit, a lot, over the top). She took Fundies, practiced her basic skills an incredible amount and allowed me to learn some of what she had learned (frog kick for example and S-drill). I was not at all convinced I needed (and certainly didn't want) to take the class and go through all she had. However I was intrigued enough to agree to take Breakthrough Diving's "Essentials of DIR" class -- an experience I found to be somewhat enlightening (and one I'd recommend to any person who wants to improve their basic diving skills).

Then I took Fundies:

After diving "my way" for a 18 months (and being exposed to the contagious DIR disease courtesy of my wife and friends), I finally agreed to take Fundies last January (class in April). I still didn't have a really great idea WHY I should take the class, but I just gave in to the outside pressure (Thanks Doug). I found the class to be interesting, and frustrating -- and I've written about both on prior threads. Suffice it to say, the class itself is too compressed and too much emphasis on evaluation of the skills rather than the teaching of the skills (or at least mine was -- I've heard of others that I think are "doing it right" by splitting up the teaching and evaluation more). I'm not sure I "learned" anything in the class (except the backkick which, in fact, I ended up "learning" on my own) that I hadn't been exposed to (or taught) before.

Six months later I have still not passed the class (eval coming up in a few days) but I have practiced the "skills" much more than I would have done had I not had a specific goal of "passing" a class.

So why did I take it? Well, I finally had a REAL reason -- you see, I had taken a few guided tours in a couple of Cenotes -- and I wanted to go "beyond the sign." Even though I had signed up for the class before I found the magic of the caves, It's quite possible I wouldn't have finished it but for the magic.

I just returned from Mexico after taking 4 days of Cavern/Intro to Cave training (TDI). I'm pleased to report that the training was made much easier because of the skills that had already been learned through the Fundies training. My teacher was kind enough to say that my (our -- wife and me) skill level was much better than he expected (and he appeared to be incredulous when I told him I hadn't passed Fundies yet, in part because of trim issues). Having the Fundies foundation allowed us to concentrate on the Cave specific issues which made the class much easier. (We had a 3rd team member in Cavern who had not had any of this training and he had a hard time -- don't know if he got his Cavern cert -- wouldn't be surprised if he didn't (yet).)

To go back to the question raised in the title:

Why should YOU take Fundies? I think one should take it when they have a solid reason to take it -- when one needs the (not so basic) skills that are taught in the class as the foundation for whatever they are about to do. Or to put it another way, when you are going to dive "task loaded" and therefore need to have the "fundamental skills" well learned. What type of "task loading?" Well, when you are going to do complex navigation, run a scooter, do decompression, go into an overhead environment, take pictures (yes! even when just taking pictures of the pretty fishies) -- any time you need to use your brain for something other than the "where am I in the water column, where is my buddy, do I have enough gas to make it to the surface" type of thinking.

I don't believe one should take the class if what they want to do is to dive and "look at the pretty fishies." While I know many disagree with me, I think the basic "PADI type" OW/AOW training (along with some practicing of the skills taught!!) is sufficient for almost everyone who does the typical recreational dive. Yes, you won't know some stuff that a "good diver" should know (gas management being a big one), but you'll be a safe diver and have fun while you're doing it.

But if you have decided you want to do more than look at the pretty fishies, think seriously about taking DIR-F -- you'll be amazed at how much better a diver you'll become.

If fundies was so great, why didn't you hit the water a little harder, get your F card and do the cave training with GUE?

Nice post Peter. However, IMO it should've been in a non DIR forum because in the DIR forum one only gets the opportunity to agree or not post, lest one gets banned for bashing. That being said, you make a lot of good points on both sides of the fence. Refreshing. :wink:

Nice post Peter. However, IMO it should've been in a non DIR forum because in the DIR forum one only gets the opportunity to agree or not post, lest one gets banned for bashing. That being said, you make a lot of good points on both sides of the fence. Refreshing. :wink:

Actually no.

The DIR forum is now open to debate DIR. Its the new DIR practitioners forum where you have to tow the line.

We still reserve the right to shoot down a post that say the DIR answer is XYZ and is wrong.

Mind you, this question is about DIR-f, which is really just a class that covers skills and introduces a diver to DIR. It doesn't make someone DIR (by any stretch of the imagination)

If fundies was so great, why didn't you hit the water a little harder, get your F card and do the cave training with GUE?

I'll answer this, because it was my decision. Our original plan was to go down and just do cavern, and the reason for that was because I learn very slowly, and I wanted a "dry run" on some skills to improve my chances of passing Cave 1, which is scheduled in April. We went on to Intro because we were really enjoying the class. I am still doing Cave 1 in April. I believe Peter has decided that's unnecessary and is not going to take the class. However, there is NO question that we were superbly prepared for the class we took by having taken Fundies and practiced skills. The instructor even commented on it.

I'll answer this, because it was my decision. Our original plan was to go down and just do cavern, and the reason for that was because I learn very slowly, and I wanted a "dry run" on some skills to improve my chances of passing Cave 1, which is scheduled in April.

Ahhh, I see. That makes sense.

Very interesting post, thank you. I am working towards getting my diving on point to take cavern/intro in the next year. I did a cenote tour this summer and knew I had to go back for more, but also knew that my skills were not where I'd want them to be for that environment. I've done a ton of work on skills since then and taken some good classes that got me pointed in the right direction, but I've been very on the fence about doing fundamentals. From your experience, it sounds like this would be a good step. I've very much enjoyed reading about you guys experience doing your classes.

Why should YOU take Fundies? I think one should take it when they have a solid reason to take it -- ..., take pictures (yes! even when just taking pictures of the pretty fishies) -- any time you need to use your brain for something other than the "where am I in the water column, where is my buddy, do I have enough gas to make it to the surface" type of thinking..

Hi Peter,
This intrugues me. I do like to dive to see the fishies and appreciate the underwater environments but I also like photography and want to hone that skill underwater. Now you have spent 6 months trying to perfect some skills that by your post are important for me to learn to be safe to myself, my buddies and the environment while I take pictures. Is there some middle ground where I can learn what I need to be able to be a proficient diver with a substantial part of my brain focusing in on picture composition, etc. and not have to learn specific skills related to cave diving, deep diving, etc.
I guess my question is threefold.
  1. What are the skills that are learned in DIR-F?
  2. Is there a subset of those skills that would be appropriate for photography?
  3. What level of proficiency is really required?
Should there be a separate class that provides the appropriate skill set for photographers (outside of photography skills) integrated into a photography curricuum? I'm guessing that some may exist and if they do and anyone wants to point me to them that would be great.
Thanks

Hi Peter,
This intrugues me. I do like to dive to see the fishies and appreciate the underwater environments but I also like photography and want to hone that skill underwater. Now you have spent 6 months trying to perfect some skills that by your post are important for me to learn to be safe to myself, my buddies and the environment while I take pictures. Is there some middle ground where I can learn what I need to be able to be a proficient diver with a substantial part of my brain focusing in on picture composition, etc. and not have to learn specific skills related to cave diving, deep diving, etc.
I guess my question is threefold.
  1. What are the skills that are learned in DIR-F?
  2. Is there a subset of those skills that would be appropriate for photography?
  3. What level of proficiency is really required?
Should there be a separate class that provides the appropriate skill set for photographers (outside of photography skills) integrated into a photography curricuum? Im guessing that some may exist and if they do and anyone wants to point me to them that would be great.
Thanks

DIR-F teaches many emergency recovery skills that are related to safe diving. It also teaches excellent trim, buoyancy and propulsion, all of which are in my opinion critical to UW photography. DIR-F will develop skills that allow you to have maximum control of your position in the water with minimal movement, which allows you to get closer to skittish subjects. I highly recommend the course to anyone serious about diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom