Wide angle and macro in the same dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pablosp

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello, I am new here and as I am embarking on the beautiful and expensive world of underwater photography. I was reading and informing myself to assemble a proper equipment based on the fact that I start with a Sony A7IV and some lenses like the Sony 90mm macro and a Tamron 27-200m (here it's useless) but I still lack a wide angle lens.

I looked for a Nauticam housing and I was thinking if there was a remote possibility of adding a wide angle wet lens to the Sony 90mm macro. I have read good references on 28 or 28-60mm Sony lenses where to attach the Nauticam WWL-1 and CMC-1 wet lenses with a bayonet, the problem is that those two dry lenses are not worth much on land like the 28-60mm because I have the 27-200m. There was the option in the future of considering buying the Sony 16-35 f4 or even the Sony 12-24 f4 but I also didn't know if the CMC-1 or some other wet macro lens could be placed on them. The idea is to be able to take both types of photography during the dive, without knowing what possibilities really exist.

Thanks in advance.

In general, you have to pick pre-dive whether to shoot macro or wide angle. we joke that if we have our macro lens and port, there will be a random whale shark, and if we have a dome port and wide angle lens mounted there will be mating sea horses bouncing on a frog fish! In practice, you may be able to get something in the middle with the 90mm. I can't comment on the Nauticam system, but I shoot the Sony 90 mm in a Sea and Sea housing. I can add various strength diopter wet lens to the housing to get super-macro or no diopter and get 1:1 macro. The 90 mm will also focus at non-macro distances to get sharp images as your lighting and back scatter may allow (probably not more than a few feet). There are several lenses you can use for wide angle, but each requires a suitable port. I have shot the Zeiss 16-35 in my 90 mm port. I didn't love the results and there was significant vignetting. A good solution for me has been the Canon 15 f 2.8 fisheye lens ( with Sigma MC-11 adapter) in a dome port. Excellent sharpness and very wide field of view. The Canon fisheye can be had used for $300 or so and is a steal at that price.

In general, you have to pick pre-dive whether to shoot macro or wide angle. we joke that if we have our macro lens and port, there will be a random whale shark, and if we have a dome port and wide angle lens mounted there will be mating sea horses bouncing on a frog fish! In practice, you may be able to get something in the middle with the 90mm. I can't comment on the Nauticam system, but I shoot the Sony 90 mm in a Sea and Sea housing. I can add various strength diopter wet lens to the housing to get super-macro or no diopter and get 1:1 macro. The 90 mm will also focus at non-macro distances to get sharp images as your lighting and back scatter may allow (probably not more than a few feet). There are several lenses you can use for wide angle, but each requires a suitable port. I have shot the Zeiss 16-35 in my 90 mm port. I didn't love the results and there was significant vignetting. A good solution for me has been the Canon 15 f 2.8 fisheye lens ( with Sigma MC-11 adapter) in a dome port. Excellent sharpness and very wide field of view. The Canon fisheye can be had used for $300 or so and is a steal at that price.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'm also thinking to try first buying a RX100 V second hand with some wide angle and macro wet lens that I saw in the secondhand market, buying 2 new strobes that can be useful in the future before taking my A7IV into the water, I really have gained some respect for putting such a camera with its respective 90mm macro lens in addition to a expensive housing like the Nauticam.

I've been using the A7C, initially with the 28-60 and associated port for most of the u/w photography, combined with a WWL-1B for wide angle, and then carry a CMC-1 or -2 on a caddy. Even here in Seattle, it's a good combination and easily manageable. I did add the 90mm Sony macro with the port after a year and I'm happy with that in our green water for most scenarios.

I have a CMC and a WWL on bayonet mounts and can quickly switch between them during a dive. With my 14-42mm zoom it is pretty versatile. Using OMD-10.

The CMC and WWL lenses can be interchanged in the water with the "kit" lens. No problem doing that, the thing is that the WWL is a large piece of expensive glass so when installing the CMC where does the WWL go? I have a bayonet on the bottom of my Nauticam A6400 and I do park a CMC there sometimes when shooting bare port but with the WWL mounted up, not sure interchanging is practical unless you SO is willing to entertain your WWL while you play with the macro CMC lens :wink:. Which mine is not.

when installing the CMC where does the WWL go?
I have a bayonet dock on one of my float arms. The WWL sits there happily if I'm using the CMC.

I have a bayonet dock on one of my float arms. The WWL sits there happily if I'm using the CMC.
And I have a Nauticam bayonet dock as I said on the bottom of my Nauticam housing and the WWL is huge and heavy and makes it difficult to maneuver the camera in close for tiny macro subjects be it on a float arm or underneath as in my case. But if it works for you I am happy for you :).

Unfortunately macro subjects often like to hide up in small places or up in a coral heads or a sponge or whip or crevice, not sure how a camera rig with a WWL-1 mounted on a float arm could be squeezed up into a small hole to take a picture of a splendid toad fish juvenile.

And I have a Nauticam bayonet dock as I said on the bottom of my Nauticam housing and the WWL is huge and heavy and makes it difficult to maneuver the camera in close for tiny macro subjects be it on a float arm or underneath as in my case. But if it works for you I am happy for you :).

Unfortunately macro subjects often like to hide up in small places or up in a coral heads or a sponge or whip or crevice, not sure how a camera rig with a WWL-1 mounted on a float arm could be squeezed up into a small hole to take a picture of a splendid toad fish juvenile.
My WWL has a flotation collar on it.
I do not try and wedge my camera and strobes into small or sensitive places. If I'm really after macro then I use a 60mm macro lens. The CMC is only for occasional use.

Back
Top Bottom