Wide Angle fogging problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dcostanza

Reaction score
# of dives
Good morning....
I would like to know if there is anyone else experiencing fogging problems with the Sea and Sea wide angle lens for the Ikelite housing? For two weekends in a row, I have had this problem and have tried many of the suggestions listed here to no avail.
The people I dive with do a ton of video work and one of them had a problem with fogging with one of their lenses. They gave me a lot of tips to try with no success. I was curious if this was a wide-spread issue or just bad luck.

I even tried "Pledge" on all lenses without much success. The boat captain had a film/photo background and he swore by it... Oh well, it was worth a try...go ahead and make the accurate assumption that it didn't work either.

Thank you

Don

The Sea & Sea wide angle lens is a sealed product. Fogging would indicate leakage. Same thing can be said about most fogging including our housing. Fogging inside of a housing can be where it was sealed and with how much moisture in the air, or a housing can get moisture from a very slight leak.

Yes...I am somwhat acquainted with this problem as it has happened to me and my colleagues. The Sea & Sea wide angle lens was fogging on our dives that started with warm surface temps but went down into the 40's and 30's (F) at depth. We thought it was the housing at first, but found upon further investigation that it was indeed the Sea & Sea wide angle lens. It appears as though the "sealed" lens is not sealed w/completely dry gas in between the lenses. There must be moisture sealed into the space between the front and back lenses that causes the fogging when cooled. Thus the fogging at depth. When we sent the lens back to Sea & Sea (after much debate with them about the possible causes) they returned it w/o fixing nor replacing it, knowing full well of the problem. They stated that they tested the lens for leaks and it was fine. Well, they did not seem to get it that the moisture had been sealed in between the lenses at the factory. You are not alone in this problem and I would highly recommend against purchasing any Sea and Sea product due to their poor customer service, not to mention faulty construction.
Anyone else had a problem like this with Sea & Sea?

Ike,
So if I understand correctly, the lens is a sealed product. As it is sealed at the factory I am ( as well as anyone else that considers on of these goofy and costly lenses) at the mercy (or luck of the draw) of the quality of air that is in the plant at the time the lens is created? The place I bought the lens and Ikelite housing was B&H Photo. I noticed on their website that they do not take lenses back that have been taken underwater. Well, OK? how else does one check to see if there is a manufacturers defect?

Ike, I'm just venting, not directing this at you. I was on hold for B&H customer service for over 20 minutes earlier and dread having to call them back.

Don

The plot thickens

Finally got to talk with someone at B&H. Of course they say they only handle returns made within 7 days. Ok, I've had it for 13 days, fine. "Who do I need to talk to to get this issue resolved?" They tell me to call Sea and Sea. After I get the number on my own since I got a wrong number from B&H I talk with Dan at Sea and Sea.

Nice guy who appears to want to help solve the problem. Said he wasn't aware of the lens fogging up. I told him I got it from B&H and they don't want to help so they passed me to Sea and Sea. Dan says that they have had a lot of problems with B&H not handling issues properly and that if I would allow him to talk to his boss he will get back with me. I indicated that I look forward to hearing back from him.

to be continued.....

I suspect Sea & Sea will eventually replace the lens since it can not be used if fogging.

Don, If you can manage to get yours replaced, please let me know who you spoke with to get this done as my dive partner was unable to make this happen. I will pass thhe contact ifo onto him. His lens was less than a few months old when it was brought to the attention of Sea and Sea. Thank you.

Brandon

BCS,
You know me... I love a challenge! Especially since this is a grand spanking new lens... I'm just a little ticked that these products are being offered to the public when there appears to be a quality control issue. Then when "you" try to get the issue resolved it becomes a game of hot-potato as no one where the purchase was made wants to do anything to help. Do they have lemon-laws for camera equipment???? For what its worth, at least I didn't get the brush-off from Dan at Sea and Sea. Time will tell... I only wish I could have taken that darn lens off while we were on the Regina so I could have brought back some footage. BTW I ended up getting TWO test tubes just in case...:wacko:

Ike,
I hope you're right as that would be the right thing to do. I just don't appreciate a vendor not taking responsibility for the products they sell.

Don

Back
Top Bottom