• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Wierd Worms

Discussion in 'Name that Critter' started by chuck41, Jan 4, 2005.

1. chuck41

chuck41 Barracuda

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Saw some strange worm-like creatures on night dive in Cozumel last month. They were at about 30 ft on reef and were like coil springs. Bodies were white and they were coiled up about 3/4" in diameter and 3" long. Bodies were about size of a thick pencil lead and they were swimming by spiraling their way through the water, kinda like a corkscrew. Anyone familiar with these things? Unfortunately I failed to take a picture of them.
    Also found an interesting little crablike critter that I did get a picture of. Included as attachment. I thought it was just a rock until it moved and I saw the eyes. :06:

2. Allison Finch

Allison Finch Solo Diver

# of Dives:
    Slipper lobster AKA pillow lobster also known as a shovel nosed lobster. YUM!!

3. Tom Smedley

Tom Smedley Tommy ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives:
    Your picture appears to be a Scalloped Slipper Lobster - Parribacus antarcticus.
    TT

4. archman

archman Marine Scientist

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Ew gross... worms. This is one of the reasons I rarely night dive; too much "crud" in the water.

Anyways, the little squigglies are mostly polychaete worms. Some of them are merely nighttime zooplankton, swimming around catching food along with everyone else. Others are the detached reproductive "epitoke" of bottom-dwelling worms. The epitoke actively swims towards the surface (or dive lights too I suppose) where it can release its gametes to best effect. This saves the "parent" the risk of getting eaten.

The photo you have is of a scyllarid, commonly referred to as "spanish" or "slipper" lobsters. They're kinda funny looking like that.

5. chuck41

chuck41 Barracuda

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Many thanks. I knew I had seen a picture of the shellfish before but couldn't remember what it was. The worm-like things really had me confused though. Going to Roatan in May. Perhaps I will have other strange encounters.