Wife insulted by a DS owner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gentlegiant

Contributor
Reaction score
Everyone,

I have posted in support of a particular DS before, but I am now going to tell everyone to avoid that DS like the PLAGUE. I cannot mention the DS by name due to a threat of law suit by the DS owner if we post anything on the Net about him or his shop, but a search of my previous posts, particularly in the Noth America travel/trip section should clue you in.

The crux of the story is that this owner called my wife a "Fu***** Crazy Bi***" this past Thursday and also said "lady, you are so insane that you don't even know what you are saying".

There is a back story here, so please bear with me as this may be a long post.

Last April we discovered an ad for some dive trips with this shop. We met their instructors ont he trip and had a pretty good time. At that time we did not know the pricing for Dive travel to PCB so we paid what they asked. Because we liked the insructor we dealt with we decided to take a class with them. When we took the equipment specialty class we also looked around the store. We soon decided to purchase some gear and ended up doing an almost complete change-out of our basic gear with them. My wife and I each purchased a new BC, tanks, regs, a pretty complete set of spare parts and some other things from them. We also booked on their May Dry Tortugas trip.

On the boat the shop owner started asking my wife what she did for a living. My wife runs an adult related website that does quite well and provides our diving fun money. She told the owner this, asked him to keep it quiet and answered some of the rest of his questions. By the end next day she had at least 4 people on the trip come up to her and tell her that they had been told she was an "Internet Madame". She also received ridicule from some other trip passengers who were on the conservative side. She confronted the DS owner and he told her that he had not told anyone and that in fact our instructor friend, who had to stay to run the shop while the owner and his son (also an instructor) went on the trip, had told those people. My wife asked the other passengers again and they confirmed that the owner had told him. This was the beginning of our troubles with them.

Over the next year we found out more about this owner and his practices. We found out that he pads his travel by at least 40% and in some cases 75%. Example: The Dry Tortugas trip runs $850/person from this shop, a direct booking with the Ultimate Getaway runs $550. When we went out the DS owner wanted $45 for Nitrox, the boat only charges $10 (the boat captian now makes this DS owners trip goers pay for Nitrox directly to try and cut down on this gouging. The captain mentioned that this owner marks up the price more that any other DS he does business with). We heard complaints from boat captains about how this owner bosses them around when he comes on their dive boats. At least 1 crew member we know of asks for time off whenever this owner is scheduled to be out on his boat.

The latest boil over happened when my wife and I wanted to go divign at PCB with Hydrospace again this weekend. I have a bunch of weekend work coming up so this was my last dive chance for a while. We dove the previous weekend and inquired about diving the following weekend. This DS owner had a 8 hour trip scheduled with only 8 people on the boat (our favorite boat due to an incredible captain and deckhand) so we asked if we could be added onto the boat by Hydrospace. We were added to the list by a crew member. This was to be a 3 tank trip and since my wife and I dive steel 120's with DIN H valves we decided to purchase 2 more tanks to bring our total to 6. Just as we were on our way to pick up the tanks Thursday we get a call from Hydrospace saying we had been booted off the Saturday boat unless we paid the $315 per person plus $200 for our son to ride directly to this DS owner. Apparently he had called down and found out we were added to his boat and pitched a yelling screaming fit at the owner of Hydrospace. Now remember there were only 8 people on a boat that fits 15-17 divers comfortably. My wife called he DS owner and offered to pay him what Hydrospace charges ($88 per diver, $20 for rider) for the Saturday trip (the DS package included room, board and Sunday dives as well). The Ds owner refused and a war of words insued which led to the above statements by this DS owner.

We are not the first people he has done this to either from what we hear.

It is my belief that DS owners like this one are driving as many if not more people away from diving or to purchasing their gear from the Internet. I would love to get feedback from some other owners on this issue. Sorry for being so long winded, but I wanted to get his story out. Yes, we did dive this past weekend, but only a 4 hour trip Saturday. No more diving for me until July due to work stuff. If anyone needs more details please PM.

Those markup sound pretty big. We don't do much travel because it's haed to make anything on it. Normally you hope to cover most of your costs and you make momney through the increased traffic that result from the travel or teaching classes on the trip.

We used to do local trips on Lake Michigan for customers. We had to take a day off to go to Chicageo for a Drug test and training on the boat once a year. When we took people on the boat we had to fill the spots of Mate and DM. We got our spote on the boat free. Big deal, I've dove those more times than Í want and I was working anyway. Then we got $10 for each person we took on the trip. It didn't even pay for my expenses for the day. Several times I was stuck paying fees for last minute cancelations. I don't go on the trips anymore. Since I stoped going almost all the customers stoped going. I guess they want me there as a guide but they aren't interested in paying.

Point being is that there should be a markup because the whole thing is a lot of work and there is expense involved. Certainly the markup must be one people are willing to pay.

It isn't a surprising that the boat wouldn't let you without going through the shop but that sounds way expensive. The boats we have worked with discounted for us so they decided our markup. The customer payed the same going with us or without. You need something inbetween.

GG: I fail to see why you do not share with us the name of the store... as long as you quote facts and leave the editorializing to the rest of us :)) ) I don't see why you are exposing yourself to legal risk. You are executing your rights as a consumer in a free and democratic society. Just as the law states in some ways: "Buyer beware" it also promotes: "Buyer be aware"

Thanks

By the way, your LDS owner sounds like a Dick. Hope you get things sorted out.

edited and removed

Thought I'm sympathetic with the rest of the story, if you don't want everyone to know something, don't tell anyone.

Come up with a plausable cover story and stick to it in the future.

Very, very few people can keep a secret, assume no one can.

Roak

roakey once bubbled...
Thought I'm sympathetic with the rest of the story, if you don't want everyone to know something, don't tell anyone.

Come up with a plausable cover story and stick to it in the future.

Very, very few people can keep a secret, assume no one can.

Roak

Exactly. When one is in the sort of business that many find "distasteful" this is even more true.

WW

I disagree with you both in this instance. There are times you are right Roakey that if you don't want them to know don't tell them.......However in this case it is apparant that the wife as a professional was talking to another professional in confidence. He had no right to repeat the conversation to anyone!

When I talk to another business owner unless otherwise stated I am in the belief it is done in confidence.

Just MHO...:wacko:

Butch103 once bubbled...
When I talk to another business owner unless otherwise stated I am in the belief it is done in confidence.

I gotta say that I think that's kind of strange. I understand perfectly not wanting to have someone else know whatever it is you do for a living, but to "expect" that unless stated otherwise is somewhat odd.

Am I wrong? Do other people "expect" that when you say you are a doctor, or an accountant, that such information was not meant to be repeated?

Dont't do a thing if your ashamed of it.

Butch103 once bubbled...
.......However in this case it is apparant that the wife as a professional ...

Professional what?

I agree that the dive shop owner might have had a moral obligation not to repeat what Mrs. gentlegiant told him in confidence. But, let's face it...a LDS owner isn't a doctor or lawyer or minister.

With respect to the rest of gentlegiant's complaint I must say that if you don't like this shop's prices then go someplace else.
I don't see anything that he is doing is wrong.

It cracks me up the way people complain about prices at the LDS.

Let me pick apart how you make money. Oh no...you mark up products that you sell...you actually charge for your services...that's too much...you must be dishonest...you shouldn't be allowed to make that much money...you should move to the USA!

SA

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom