Wifi at Buddy's Dive Resort?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

terramar

Registered
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Can anyone who has stayed recently comment on the wifi there at the Buddy Dive Resort?

Is it only available in certain public areas? Is there coverage in the rooms? And how reliable was it? We don't need high-performance, but just some reasonable reliability.

Thanks-

I was there about a year ago. There was wifi in the public areas as well as in the rooms. Certain areas in your apartment will have better signal than others. When I was in the living room and one of the bedrooms, I had zero problems. In the second bedroom, the signal was a bit weak. I had no problems with reliability. While it wasn't the fastest, it wasn't slow and the week I was there it never appeared to be down.

EDIT: To add, one of my friends was there this spring and also had no trouble connecting from his apartment.

Can anyone who has stayed recently comment on the wifi there at the Buddy Dive Resort?

Is it only available in certain public areas? Is there coverage in the rooms? And how reliable was it? We don't need high-performance, but just some reasonable reliability.

Thanks-
It can be really poor inside your room, even though you can look out the sliding door and see the access point. Opening the porch door will help; there is apparently some shielding in the door glass. The signals are good and reliable except for that....so if you are working on your porch or at Blennys or something, no issues. They are also working to try and improve the whole system, because they are tired of getting complaints about it. No date for completion of this...

We were there in Mid July and stayed in the 400 rooms and had no service in the rooms but ok outside on the patios

We were there in Mid July and stayed in the 400 rooms and had no service in the rooms but ok outside on the patios
It's been several years since I stayed at Buddy's Resort (which I liked); back then I recall very weak in room service, okay on the outside patio. I'm commenting now because of your post, to follow up with a potentially important point...

On the outside patio, mosquitoes can get you. Less of an issue inside (though mosquitoes do get indoors at times; a small plastic fly swatter in your luggage may be your friend).

In my five trips to BD, I've had zero internet in any of the five rooms I stayed in. I'm amazed that they have not fixed it by now. (The whining from US tourists must be deafening). If IP in your room is important to you, find another place to stay.

It's been several years since I stayed at Buddy's Resort (which I liked); back then I recall very weak in room service, okay on the outside patio. I'm commenting now because of your post, to follow up with a potentially important point...

On the outside patio, mosquitoes can get you. Less of an issue inside (though mosquitoes do get indoors at times; a small plastic fly swatter in your luggage may be your friend).

You can buy your own WiFi extenders that are tiny and would work wonders for this type of scenarios.

You can buy your own WiFi extenders that are tiny and would work wonders for this type of scenarios.
The problem is that the rooms are shielded. You can see the access points which are many and close by, and (on the porch) the signals from them are strong. But the signal doesn't get through the wall/glass doors to the apartments. It is like being inside a Faraday box. An extender on the porch would take a strong signal and make it strong....but I don't think it will get inside the rooms.

In case helpful to anyone:

I stayed at Divi Flamingo last week. No issues the entire week with wifi from 3 phones and 2 computers (well, I only used the computer the first day and took an actual vacation the rest of the week). That was in the room and all around the property.

We were just at the north end of Buddy Dive and the WiFi only worked outside on the patio. When I needed to get a bit of work done I went to Blennies, sat by the water, had an Amstel, and used my computer. It made working quite palatable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom