Wikipedia article on "Doing It Right"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Slotted for straps in this context are the slots that you would pass cam bands through for a single tank instead of using an STA bolted to the back plate with cam bands.

Thank you for clarifying in general, and specifically that "slots" refers to cam-band slots. That brings me to an observation/question then, which is that it seems that Halcyon's small-size backplate would not qualify then (it has no cam-band slots), which seems odd since they have a close connection with GUE/DIR. Also, I have an Agir-Brokk backplate which seems like it "should" be "DIR-ish," but also lacks cam-band slots. Or do cam-band slots on an STA that is fastened to the backplate count as "backplate slots"?

Slots for camband straps aren't a requirement. They are an acceptable option.

correct - slots or an STA are fine for adapting to single tank setup, the STA uses the same 11" spacing as normal double tanks so can be used with any backplate, slots or no.
The STA has cam band slots on it - Here is a HOG one that illustrates what i mean (intentially not a halcyon product, but they have one as well of course, which is what i have along with the STA weight)
they all use the same 11" spacing and are interchangeable

In general all Steel and Aluminium backplates made today meet the criteria since they wil have the holes for attaching double tanks.

You can also make your own Back Plate and choose to have slots or not.

i should also add - which solution you use depends on your wing having slots in it to use cam bands on the back plate directly or if you have to use an STA (my single wing ((Halcyon)) does not have slots for the cam bands so i have to use an STA to dive my singles setup. I use the same backplate regarless of singles or doubles and just vary the wing depending on the need.

Slots for camband straps aren't a requirement. They are an acceptable option.

correct - slots or an STA are fine for adapting to single tank setup, the STA uses the same 11" spacing as normal double tanks so can be used with any backplate, slots or no.

Okay, thanks - that fits what I thought I knew. Mainly, I was querying the wording of the definition for the Wikipedia article, as to me it (did) read like stainless/aluminum and slots were required (but now it looks like it reads the way I previously understood it, which is that slots or an STA are fine - so either I was hallucinating before or it has been edited).

Sorry if I sounded dense or too picky. Some-time editor and it's hard to remove the hat :wink:

Huge thanks to rlynch for stepping up and actually doing the hard work of improving the page.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom