Wild Earth Expeditions - Galapagos & Ecuador - Trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
WILD EARTH EXPEDITIONS - Galapagos and Ecuador 2010 Trip
Our Wild Earth Expeditions trip to Ecuador & Galapagos was absolutely amazing with wonderful culture, great wildlife encounters and simply fantastic diving. Ecuador was very special... hummingbirds "galore", clear and loud displays of the vivid red feathers and wild mating display of the Andean cock-of-the-rock, cherished moments in the dark as we observed the blinking lights of fire flies and sitting suspended over a beautiful pond, sipping local wine while being enchanted by the enthusiastic croaking of a frog concert. Traditional beauty surrounded us at every turn with the charm of 17th Century Haciendas and traditionally clad locals, music and dance festivals spilling us into splendid cultural produce and craft markets. However, the Galapagos diving complemented the vibrant culture of Ecuador and provided us with unsurpassed marine encounters certainly a highlight for us all: 14 whale sharks, a constant stream of schooling Hammerhead sharks too numerous to count, Galapagos & Silky sharks, the biggest Manta rays we've ever encountered (5m across), playful and mischievous Sea Lions and many new endemics for us to thrill over. On the surface Marine Iguanas bask in the equatorial sun, sharing the diverse Galapagos landscapes with the quirky characters of the Blue-footed Boobies. A truly successful trip. We'll be back for sure! Already planning a rerun in 2012 or 13.

Check out some of the photos of the trip at: Wild Earth Expeditions - Galapagos

Guest comments & trip reports:

"We couldn't have asked for more personalized or caring attention on the land and sea trip to Galapagos with The Wild Earth Expeditions leaders Natalia & Thomas Baechtold.  The diving was everything promised, and the land excursions of value. Having traveled with other organizations we had a very high standard, which they surpassed. We look forward to traveling with them again."
B & R Littenberg, Hawaii

"The expedition to the Galapagos with both of you was so incredible. What a rich experience! You have been the most wonderful guides and a trip like this is hard to top – but I know for sure that with Wild Earth  Expeditions even this seems possible!"
B. Albers, Zurich

"I recently traveled with Wild Earth Expeditions on an expedition to Ecuador and the Galapagos. I want to take this opportunity to commend you on the trip.
I had debated in my mind the advisability of the Ecuador portion of the trip because I had been in Ecuador previously with another tour group. I was very surprised by seeing a completely different Ecuador. You were able to show me a completely different face of the country and to the extent you have whetted my appetite to travel again to the country and see more. The places and sights included in your itinerary are greatly appreciated and if it were not for you I might have remained in ignorance about the great variety of wild life, including the hummingbirds.
When we got to the Galapagos your previous experience as dive masters again came to the fore, even though the dive boat also provided dive masters and natural guides. You successfully managed the other dive masters and assured your entire group that we would safely dive and see everything that had been billed as possible fish targets, including the Hammerhead Sharks in profusion, the Eagle Rays flying in formation and most of all the close approach of all of the Whale Sharks.
Again I thank you for everything that you did in making this trip a success and I look forward to traveling with you again. Sincerely,"

J. Conrow, California

"Jon and I had an amazing time with Wild Earth Expeditions. You led an outstanding and wonderful trip, and you know my standards are high:)  I know you two will be really successful in all your adventures.
As the name states...Wild Earth Expeditions provided one amazing diving expedition to the Galapagos for my family and I. Thomas and Natalia take great care in making sure you have a wonderful and memorable experience. They take care of every detail from the moment you arrive the adventure begins and the service is amazing. They provide excellent information on the local area and all that it has to offer.
Diving with the two of them was an experience I will never forget. Not only are they wonderful Dive Masters, they are highly knowledgeable about the areas we dove and the marine life we encountered.  The Wolf and Darwin Island marine preserves were incredible. Hammerheads galore, also whale sharks, giant manta rays, and galapagos sharks.
To sum it up WEE provides a first class fabulous land and sea excursion experience while taking care of all the details so you can enjoy the adventure:)"

J&J Melnyk, Hawaii

JOIN US ON ONE OF OUR 2011 ITINERARIES. CHECK OUT THE DETAILS AT: Expeditions

Attachments

• 200_whale shark 01.png
    200_whale shark 01.png
    23.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 200_Schooling Hammerheads.png
    200_Schooling Hammerheads.png
    34.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 200_Mindo Hummingbird 01.png
    200_Mindo Hummingbird 01.png
    29.8 KB · Views: 59