Wild Tuesday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dktexas54

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Was in coz march 12th when Norte blew through. Just finished Palancar Gardens and we stop at beach club for 30 minute break. Captain said port just closed and we should hurray to get second dive in. Dove San Clemente and was great. 45 minutes into dive, DM turned and said let's go up. You could see the driving rain pounding on the surface while we did our safety stop. When we surfaced, the rain and wave action was getting more intense. We all got on the Boat and started heading North to Hotel Coz. It was cold and the wind was blowing a good 20 to 25 mph. Waves would crash into the boat. The warm sea water felt good. I was lovin every minute. The Captain said we would have to drop off at villa Blanca. Once off, we hailed down a taxi. A van picked up the 5 of us all in our wet suits and gear and soaking wet. The street back was flooding.

I have been to coz many times. That had to be my most memorable dive ever.

anyone else there that day? Please share your story.

I wasn't there that day. However, a few years ago we surfaced in a crazy storm. We had our boys with us and it was quite the effort to get them and ourselves back on the boat. The captain literally picked up one of the younger boys in our group and tossed him on the boat like a fish. Trying to climb the ladder without the boat coming down and knocking you on the head was tricky. The storm took out 3 small boats that day. It was amazing no one was hurt.

It was quite the ride getting back to the Caleta. It was way too rough for them to drop us off at our hotel. We had the same type of ride back to the hotel, carrying all of our wet gear. Oh, and guess who didn't even bring a towel that day?! :shakehead:

Our boys still talk about that dive!! It was sure scary watching them trying to get on the boat... but it was very memorable. During our safety stop our boat (which was one of Dive Paradise's larger boats) was bobbing up and down so much that it looked like a very small boat and I thought we were surfacing by another OPs boat. The rain during our safety stop was super cool!

Kinda gives me shivers thinking about it. It just goes to show how quickly the weather can change. When we started our dive it was cloudy and slightly windy.

We had a day like that a couple of trips ago. After the first dive, and the weather being generally cruddy, everyone but us just opted to get dropped off by the Money Bar. We did Dive 2 on Francesca--it was a great dive, and we had the reef to ourselves. When we were done, the wind had picked up to the point that it was taking the captain forever to struggle the boat even as far as the caleta, where we put in and taxied back to the hotel, thoroughly wet and windblown.

I saw the thread title and thought you had watched the Minnesota Wild beat the red wings a$$. But then why would that be in the Cozumel forum?

I saw the thread title and thought you had watched the Minnesota Wild beat the red wings a$$. But then why would that be in the Cozumel forum?
Yea, I can see how you might think that. Cheers.

---------- Post added March 22nd, 2013 at 05:11 PM ----------

We had a day like that a couple of trips ago. After the first dive, and the weather being generally cruddy, everyone but us just opted to get dropped off by the Money Bar. We did Dive 2 on Francesca--it was a great dive, and we had the reef to ourselves. When we were done, the wind had picked up to the point that it was taking the captain forever to struggle the boat even as far as the caleta, where we put in and taxied back to the hotel, thoroughly wet and windblown.

what made me laugh so hard was how wet we were and the cabbie was so nonchalant, like this happens all the time. Gave him a very nice tip.

My husband laughs when I pack my boat coat regardless of the time of year. I'm the one laughing when those squalls roll in and he's freezing his tail off on the way back to the caleta!

I was there on Wild Tuesday. Our first dive was Palancar Caves (video on YouTube) and then Tormentos. Getting back on the boat after the second dive was rough on many. It was a rough, cold trip back. We also had to taxi back to the hotel from the marina in wet dive gear. I was in much better condition having worn my Fusion dry suit but was definitely suffering from the boat ride if not the cold. The dives were great though.[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm3mNxioO64&feature=plcp[/video]

Last edited:
I wasn't there that day. However, a few years ago we surfaced in a crazy storm. We had our boys with us and it was quite the effort to get them and ourselves back on the boat. The captain literally picked up one of the younger boys in our group and tossed him on the boat like a fish. Trying to climb the ladder without the boat coming down and knocking you on the head was tricky. The storm took out 3 small boats that day. It was amazing no one was hurt.

It was quite the ride getting back to the Caleta. It was way too rough for them to drop us off at our hotel. We had the same type of ride back to the hotel, carrying all of our wet gear. Oh, and guess who didn't even bring a towel that day?! :shakehead:

Our boys still talk about that dive!! It was sure scary watching them trying to get on the boat... but it was very memorable. During our safety stop our boat (which was one of Dive Paradise's larger boats) was bobbing up and down so much that it looked like a very small boat and I thought we were surfacing by another OPs boat. The rain during our safety stop was super cool!

Kinda gives me shivers thinking about it. It just goes to show how quickly the weather can change. When we started our dive it was cloudy and slightly windy.

This sounds like a normal dive day off the North Carolina coast

I was there on Wild Tuesday. Our first dive was Palancar Caves (video on YouTube) and then Tormentos. Getting back on the boat after the second dive was rough on many. It was a rough, cold trip back. We also had to taxi back to the hotel from the marina in wet dive gear. I was in much better condition having worn my Fusion dry suit but was definitely suffering from the boat ride if not the cold. The dives were great though.[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm3mNxioO64&feature=plcp[/video]

Denbys, very nice video. What type shark?

---------- Post added March 22nd, 2013 at 09:36 PM ----------

This sounds like a normal dive day off the North Carolina coast

then I must come dive there. Seriously, I spoke with several people who have been coming to coz for over 20 years. They said they had never experienced a day quite like "Wild Tuesday". Anyway, was stationed in Jacksonville back in the early 70's and loved NC. Who do you recommend diving with? Cheers.

DH and I have had our share of Wild Tuesday's. We have been on dives when it was sunny at the start of the dive only to sUrface to bad weather, rough water and cold wind. So, Wild Tuesday's can happen, and with this in mind, how is the best way to handle returning to the boat ? What are things to keep in mind to get back on the boat safely ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom