Will a LP 85 Steel tank last for my typical dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would look at the Faber FX series cylinders! I would say look at the Tfx-100 and this cylinder is about the same size of an lp-85 and gives you a little more flexibility for air. We carry many sizes but you really can't go wrong with that cylinder. We sell many of that size to new divers as well as experence divers. I also dive this cylinder and love it..

You can either go to our website " www.techdivinglimited.com " or just email me with your phone number and a good time to call and I would be more than happy to discuss the different cylinders and what your options are.

The good news we have them on sale if you are looking it may be worth your time to check out our site. We also have a cylinder spec sheet on the website. When you log in look at the middle top of the page for the link...

Regards
Randy

We have 4 Worthington LP steel tanks, they came with the Thermo convertible valves. They work great.

Mikey,

you're a new diver and your air consumption is horrible. As you dive more frequently and get comfortable in the water your air consumption will decrease from the numbers you stated dramatically. The lp 85 will serve your needs for the time being-get more experience and review where you wish to go in your diving adventures and look at your tank needs then.

If you haven't bought a tank yet I would reccommend the Worthington HP 100
It's hot dip galvanized and even if you can't get a 3442 fill it holds 87 Cf at 3000 psi. All the air you'll need for the time being.

Lee
www.seapearls.com

scubamikey:
Thanks, this has been really helpful. I really like the dimensions and weight of the LP 85, but I'm wondering if I should go a little bigger. Seems I could still do a lot of fun diving with the LP85, but once I get a little more experience I may want a larger size. Hard to decide if I should stick with LP or get a HP tank.

Here's the horrible info from the OW class. Data is moderately accurate. Keep in mind we were doing our drills, not just calmly drifting along. Also, I found that 3 large breaths would help relieve anxiety, so I used a lot of air that way. That should subside before long. Also, I should be better weighted and happier in my new gear (none bought yet).

Gear:
Apeks basic regs
al80
seaquest pro qd+ bc
26 lbs weight
7mm suit

Dive 1
22 feet
20 min
used 1300 psi

Dive 2
24 feet
15 min
used 1000 psi

Dive 3
24 feet
20 min
used 1300 psi

Dive 4
24 feet
16 min
used 1100 psi

You're going to tell me I need a tank like the one in the yard that holds propane, aren't you?

Here's a link to nifty little tool that will help you get a better feel for your SAC rate. You can then apply this with the aforementioned analysis. Keep in mind that your SAC rate should improve as you acquire more experience. Good luck.

So now I'm reading DIR-fundamentals and an AL80 is pretty much the suggested tank for safety reasons (bouyancy), or no bigger than a steel 72. But the steel 85 seems so much nicer in many ways, and it'll be used in mostly in NY so I'll always have a wetsuit or someday a drysuit. Any opinions in how this should affect my decision? Is it a matter of calculating positive vs. negative bouyancy and seeing if I have enough ditchable weight so I can safely use the LP85?

lp85 @ 2640psi = 85ft^3
lp85 @ 3100psi =100ft^3 (gently overfilled)
faber lp85
neg. 7 when full
neutral when empty
26” tall
31# heavy
7” dia.
so it is
more gas than al80
will not float you when empty
less lead on your belt
as tall as al80
lighter than al80
thinner than al80
more money though

i don t know about you but i don t see any cons.
there are many like it but these four are mine and i like them a lot in sets of two:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom