Will a Suunto Vyper install into my Gauge Console?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve Straus

Registered
Reaction score
Hello folks, this is my first post here.

I have a reletively stupid question. I've decided I want a Suunto Vyper as my first dive computer. I currently own a Suunto Combo Console (SM-36 SPG, analog depth gauge, and an SK-7 Compass).

combo3bja_375pix.jpg

The question is this, will the Wrist Mounted Version of the Vyper go into my instrument module in place of the analog depth gauge?

I haven't decided if I like it better in the console or on my wrist, and if I can pull this off, it will give me the opportunity to try both. I've searched both on this site and on Suunto's site and couldn't find the exact answer I was looking for.

Thanks

--
Steve Straus

First - welcome to ScubaBoard!!

I was just looking at mine - I doubt that it would fit in a console - but why would you want to? On your wrist it's right there where you can easily access and read it.

And when you're ready - the compass can be popped out of the console and easily rigged with bungies to go on the other wrist. You can then lose the console and just clip off the SPG. On the other hand, that's just my preference - many divers think they prefer the dashboard method :D

Snowbear:
First - welcome to ScubaBoard!!

I was just looking at mine - I doubt that it would fit in a console - but why would you want to? On your wrist it's right there where you can easily access and read it.

And when you're ready - the compass can be popped out of the console and easily rigged with bungies to go on the other wrist. You can then lose the console and just clip off the SPG. On the other hand, that's just my preference - many divers think they prefer the dashboard method :D

Thanks for the reply!

I did 25 dives in Bonaire in October while borrowing my Aunt's Suunto Solution Nitrox computer. I tried it on the wrist and attached to my high pressure hose, and found I liked it better on the console, merely because I was nervous about it slipping off my wrist. My wife and I have already lost cheap watches, losing a dive computer really isn't on my list of things "to do." I have seen some wristbands that have tensioners, so that the strap stays snug even after the wetsuit compresses, so I'll check those out.

I really like night diving, and what I don't like about having my gauges on my wrists is having to switch hands with my light to illuminate the phosphorescent gauges. Whent they're all in one place on the console it's easy just to light them all up. Obviously the Vyper is excluded from this, but you get my point.

What peaked my interest in the first place was this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3667525979&category=16056

I'm not aware of a Gekko that is made specifically as a console unit, and I'm pretty sure that thing isn't air integrated. Every place I've looked online advertises the computers as being wrist mount or console. I've seen them sold that way, but nothing indicating that they are mutually exclusive. I'm wondering if it's really nothing more than the configuration at the time that they're sold.

Would anyone mind measuring their vyper's gauge face diameter? I'm curious if it's the same diameter as my analog depth gauge. At the face of the gauge mine is 60mm wide.

Thanks again!

60mm at its widest point.

Why don't you replace the strap with bungee and then place some velcro over it on your wrist with a circle cut in the middle? That way, it'll be more secure and streamlined.

dbulmer:
60mm at its widest point.

Why don't you replace the strap with bungee and then place some velcro over it on your wrist with a circle cut in the middle? That way, it'll be more secure and streamlined.

I'll consider that, if it turns out on my wrist is where I want to keep it. The fact that the face of the gauge is 60mm is very encouraging to me. now all I need is to find a good deal on a vyper and I'm set.

Thanks!

--
Steve

Hi,

the gekko's mechanical design is the same as the vyper (except for the computer inside). I have a vyper and if I remove the rubber boot on it (look it up in your manual when you are changing batteries), you exactly have the same measures as the gekko, so you can put it in the consol module.

As for the depth gauge, you can buy a separate wrist strap.

Check the suunto website and download the console modules demo. The vyper in a console it listed there!

Succ6

Yes, you should be able to do it. It might take an adapter which is available from your dealer. I did it, and it works fine. If you like a consol, use a consol.

Yerba Mate:
Here is a picture of the Vyper on the Sea-Quest Site (NA distributors of Suunto gear, I believe).

http://www.sea-quest.com/pages/dcomp/dc_vyper.html

As you can see, it is equally capable of going into the Suunto console Boot as on the wrist. I personally wouldn't put it in a console though...but that's just me, I don't like consoles.

I've been happy with my console, I think the only thing I don't like is how long it is, so I might look into getting the compass that goes on the back of the SPG rather than hooking onto the top of the depth gauge/computer to shorten it up a bit.

I like having all of my gauges in one place.

I have taken my Viper out of the counsole (for battery changes) and the only thing needed to change it to a wrist mount is the pins and straps. The unit is exactly the same as far as I can see.

I see the Gekko mentioned. Not that familiar with that one, but I was lead to believe it is similar to Viper w/o some of the capabilities of the Viper.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom