Will a Video Light work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RDRINK25

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a Sony RX100 II and currently have a Sola Photo 1200 from use with my GoPro. Can I get by taking some shots of sharks with the Sola. I know a strobe is the way to go but that is not an option right now.

I think it depends solely upon your expectations. For me the answer would be a resounding no. I do not mean that as a put down, simply, I think for some limited applications for close up photos using mainly natural light for illumination a video light could add in some color and maybe fill in a shadow a little. But the answer is probably no. But, I could be wrong.

N

Most standard video lights are significantly weaker than most strobes. A standard strobe can reach the equivalent of about 30,000 lumens per flash (very rough number which varies according to several factors).
The 1200 light would be useful for very close range, and even then, no nearly as powerful as a strobe.
I do recommend trying out macro / closeup photography with strong video lights, but for sharks, unless you will be shooting from a few inches away, I don't think it would be very useful.
Check out this blog post: Shooting Macro Photos with a Video Light

For years I dove with a Canon A570 and just a LED light. First a greenforce tri-led (45W), then a Sola 1200. I used the on-camera flash and a diffuser. Most of my photos are close-up. Frequently if I put the Sola on high, the flash would not fire as the light was sufficient.

Now I use a Canon G16 with the same SOLA 1200 plus an Ikelite DS51 strobe in TTL mode. Again, if I set the video light on high, the strobe does not always fire as there's sufficient light.

However, I like to use the Sola on low power as a fill / focus light and let the strobe do the bulk of the lighting. You can get some nice lighting effects this way.

Of course the Sola really does it's work when using the G16 for video.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom